Spelter Socket

Is there any way to remove the parted wire and wire lock from the socket?

[QUOTE=tugboatchief;86057]Is there any way to remove the parted wire and wire lock from the socket?[/QUOTE]

Smoke wrench works fine. Just don’t heat the socket to cherry. Works on either epoxy or zinc. Got any old hull zincs? you can melt them to re pour you just need to melt enough to pour it all at once. Furnace cement works well to plug up the bottom end while pouring, or the zinc just runs out the bottom end.

[QUOTE=tugboatchief;86057]Is there any way to remove the parted wire and wire lock from the socket?[/QUOTE]
Heat them up with your torch, and once resin is cooked off, you can pull the wires out. It takes a while, but it saves you having to buy a new socket.

Your supplier should be able to press them out for you maybe I know that is what we have done if time allows.

Use a rosebud if you have it. If not, a standard torch works just fine but may take a few more minutes. Cut the wire about an inch below the socket with a metabo blade on a grinder and heat away. Once you feel you have heated it enough (you may hear a pop, but like the previous guy said not to cherry red) give it a whack with a hammer. We use 1 1/8" sockets and use a 1" piece of round stock or as close to that size bolt as a punch. Make sure you wear long sleeves, gloves, and eye protection.

I can just imagine the fumes put off once that epoxy starts to heat up. Either way I’m gonna give it a shot. Thanks for the advice and techniques.

[QUOTE=tugboatchief;86166]I can just imagine the fumes put off once that epoxy starts to heat up. Either way I’m gonna give it a shot. Thanks for the advice and techniques.[/QUOTE]

You’re not melting the epoxy OR the zinc. You’re expanding the socket to let the mass inside pop through.

I forgot about the cutting the stump of wire with the grinder. that way you have a flat to pound on. Cut it about an inch away from the socket. You may have to re cut it once you break the plug loose, but it should stay relatively together for many whacks.

What are you using to hold the new wire in? epoxy or zinc? An epoxy kit should have directions. You have to push the new wire end through, and secure about 3 ’ of it with either seizing wire of a couple hose clamps. then you have to DE lay the wire. It is easier to use a couple feet to do this, so you can have some leverage to de lay the wire. Then once your done de laying, you can cut the wires all to just under the length of the socket, perfectionists then invert this and soak this end in muriatic acid to clean oils and grease off the strands and fibers. Then, pull it back down so the UNlayed part is just at the mouth of the socket.

Page 60 of the crosby manual. http://www.scribd.com/doc/104082196/26/Swage-Terminal-Assemblies-–-Fatigue-Life

Yeah I’m a expert on pouring the socket. I’ve done six of them in the last year. And as of today I have five recycled barely used sockets ready to go. The torch/rosebud did the trick. Nothing like a little heat and a few whacks with a BFH.

I’ve gotten really good at it. Lol. I work on a 4 point diving vessel and we are pouring 4 sockets almost every time we change water depths on our pendant wires. I’m glad you were able to save your sockets. It’s really easy to do and saves money.