SMA, entrance exams help

Hello, to get into Seattle Maritime Academies engineering program you of course need to take the ACT entrance exams. I did a practice exam and pretty much failed the math. I went all the way up to Calculus, and passed, while in HS but haven’t used it at all in the 12yrs since then.

I emailed one of the counselors at SMA and they said a bad test score could ruin my chance of acceptance into the program. Although she wouldn’t tell me what kinds of scores they are looking for, or what constitutes a passing score.

So I am trying to relearn all the stuff I have forgotten before I go take the real test. I know that I am intelligent enough, I was 3.8gpa all through HS, I just need to rekindle the math side of my brain.

Anybody have recommendations for some study materials, other than the general ACT prep? How often do you actually use the math on a boat?

And does anybody know of ANYONE who has anything to do with this program, like a current or past student, or teacher? I’d really like to talk to somebody deeply involved with the program before I commit. Thanks,

Also, I posted some pictures in the community section of ships I’ve worked on and their engines.

Anyone have any info??

I know if you go through borders they have a ton of ACT and SAT prep books. It might take a bit longer but maybe look at a math class or two at a local community college.

Thanks, I’ve done that. I was just curious if anyone had any specific books that really helped them out.

[QUOTE=Kingrobby;25796]
Anybody have recommendations for some study materials, other than the general ACT prep? How often do you actually use the math on a boat?
[/QUOTE]

I would surely look for a few sample tests to determine which types of questions you are having problems with, then determine why you are getting them wrong (look for patterns), then start working on your problem areas.

An old saying goes like this “What gets measured, get’s managed”. This is the reason why companies now require mariners to fill in countless daily reports and use preventative maintenance systems. It’s not to single out individual operators as much as it is to find trends and weaknesses throughout the fleet and manage them by providing additional training/tools/surveys/etc to fix the problem. You basically need to do the same thing on a smaller scale.

I wish I could help you more, but I took the SAT.

And yes, you have to use math on a regular basis on the boat but you have the assistance of computers and nav equipment to help you. That being said, knowing the basics is going to really help you, especially on future license exams.