SIU Seeking "Limited and Unlimited Mates"?

Just for fun, I looked at the SIU website. They are looking for “limited and unlimited mates.” (its under the jobs tab)

Where do they need “limited mates”, that is,other than Crowley?

What does the SIU (an unlicensed ratings union) need “unlimited mates” for?

To stick them in limited tonnage jobs.

That’s a good question actually, I would also be interested in knowing why they’re looking for limited mates

So they can raid AMO jobs?

Starlight Marine Services has mates under SIU.

[QUOTE=sailorman1981;147641]Starlight Marine Services has mates under SIU.[/QUOTE]

So is the parent company, Harley, also SIU?

Harley has three union companies that I know about (may be more). 1. Starlight (SIU) 2. Millennium (IBU) 3. The tug in Dutch is also (IBU) I forget the name of that company.

How about Harley New York, is it Union?

Harley in NY harbor is SIU.

[QUOTE=NYBoatman;147647]Harley in NY harbor is SIU.[/QUOTE]

SIU must be a lot cheaper for them than 333 would be.

Speaking of 333, did the 333 guys vote to become MMP?

[QUOTE=tugsailor;147648]SIU must be a lot cheaper for them than 333 would be.

Speaking of 333, did the 333 guys vote to become MMP?[/QUOTE]

Deadline for 333 votes is 12 Nov. For MMP its’ 4 Dec.

The tug(s) in Dutch is(are) the James Dunlap and the Saratoga, both IBU on deck and MMP up top.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;147653]The tug(s) in Dutch is(are) the James Dunlap and the Saratoga, both IBU on deck and MMP up top.[/QUOTE]

The James Dunlap, Malolo, and Saratoga belong to Dunlap and are MMP Inland in the wheelhouse (it’s decent pay, especially for Saratoga), and IBU for everyone else.

The Gyrofalcon belongs to one of the Harley companies. We’ve just heard that it’s IBU, but I wonder if it’s all IBU?

The Reslove Pioneer and Mak Bay are Resolve/Magone, and nonunion. It’s mostly a bunch of Florida guys.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;147655]The Reslove Pioneer and Mak Bay are Resolve/Magone, and nonunion. It’s mostly a bunch of Florida guys.[/QUOTE]

I’ve got to wonder how they’re liking ole Dutch during the winter for their Florida pay?

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=lm1883;147652]Does SIU have unlimited tonnage work for mates? If so where?[/QUOTE]

dedges…

Harley has the Gyrfalcon up there, it’s IBU from what I understand. It does some assist work and tows a container barge to a cannery.

I believe the IBU position are Mate, engineer and deckhands.

Dunlap mates are all MMP

The SIU inland contracts which include dredges, seagoing tugs and ATBs require limited and unlimited licenses. The vettors surveying the ATBs liked to see UL licenses. The SIU also had the rocket booster carrier contract but I’m not sure if it’s still in operation.