SIU Apprenticeship program

Trying to figure out how much it will cost me to go through the SIU apprenticeship program. Since I live in Mexico and only go to the states to work, airfare is a big part of my consideration. I use my sisters address in Indiana.

According to the SIU site, the following applies.

Step 1: Do the online application, send it, then schedule appointment for the math and reading test. These must be done within 30 days. So…I will fly to my sisters house in Indiana in November and do the application and then knock out the math and reading test. Hopefully before 30 days. Then I go back to Mexico and wait to hear if I can continue to step 2. They do not say on their site how long before I hear from them regarding step 2. So for step 1 I will have to pay to go and come back to Mexico, plus get and pay for my MMC while I’m there. Already have passport and TWIC.

Step 2: They will notify me if I can proceed to step 2 but not sure how long that takes. Once they say I can continue to step 2, mail in copies of the passport, TWIC and the MMC along with letter from dentist.This has to be done within 90 days after they have notified me saying proceed to step 2.

Once the application is complete (meaning they have all of the documents), they will notify me within 3 months of the start date.Then I’ll be contacted by my local SIU hall to set up the trainee physical, drug test, and benzene test.

So…for anyone who has gone through the SIU apprenticeship program…if I start the process in November, how long before I know something? Seems like it will take about 3 to 5 months before I will have to worry about the trainee physical. Anyone know the price for that?

My friend who went through this program suggested I get the MMC and then work on a cruise ship that he told me about. He said they only require the passport, TWIC and the MMC and that they will put me through at no cost to me, the STCW safety classes. He said do that for a while and save up money then try the SIU. Any suggestions from people here with experience in this?

From my experience, I think it’s better to do what you’re friend have suggested because I did he same thing before joining the apprentice program. The physical, benzene and MSC physical exams will cost you $350. You will also need to give $300 that will be deposited in you’re account plus the cost of your uniform. Hope this information help and good luck in the future.

[QUOTE=arseniocris;84692]From my experience, I think it’s better to do what you’re friend have suggested because I did he same thing before joining the apprentice program. The physical, benzene and MSC physical exams will cost you $350. You will also need to give $300 that will be deposited in you’re account plus the cost of your uniform. Hope this information help and good luck in the future.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information, arsen. Why do I need to give them 300 bucks to be deposited?

Probably for your sea chest account. We used get $20 a week just deposited in our accounts for being a trainee. You could get side “jobs” around the school for extra cash. They had library monitor, dock monitor and galley monitor etc jobs that paid an extra $20 a week. You could walk over to the upgrader side of the hotel and go to the seachest which was like a convenience store to get cigarettes and what not with your account money. It was like having a commissary account while in prison. When you shipped out you cashed out the account when you went over and picked up your street clothes from storage. Maybe the three hundred is the start up funds for the account. I don’t know how they do it now.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;84737]Probably for your sea chest account. We used get $20 a week just deposited in our accounts for being a trainee. You could get side “jobs” around the school for extra cash. They had library monitor, dock monitor and galley monitor etc jobs that paid an extra $20 a week. You could walk over to the upgrader side of the hotel and go to the seachest which was like a convenience store to get cigarettes and what not with your account money. It was like having a commissary account while in prison. When you shipped out you cashed out the account when you went over and picked up your street clothes from storage. Maybe the three hundred is the start up funds for the account. I don’t know how they do it now.[/QUOTE]

You are right, there are lot of changes now. The $300 will be deposited to the same account that your $20 will go at the end of the week. After first phase, you must withdraw all the money that you saved from your account. It is best that you save money while you’re at the school coz it will help a lot for your second phase.

[QUOTE=arseniocris;84751]You are right, there are lot of changes now. The $300 will be deposited to the same account that your $20 will go at the end of the week. After first phase, you must withdraw all the money that you saved from your account. It is best that you save money while you’re at the school coz it will help a lot for your second phase.[/QUOTE]

From what my friend told me, during the second phase you get paid something like 900 bucks a month. Does this sound correct?

Its roughly $900 but sometimes they would ask you for OT if your up to it.