Singapore the liveable city in a park

Due to the density and fast growth of people living on a small territory, Singapore has been warming faster than most places outside the Arctic.
But Singapore is applying science and technology to slow the warming and mitigate the effect on the residents:

This is MY Singapore. Not the flashy Orchard Road, or down town:

more aircon is the answer which is why it makes the average Singaporean the most power hungry consumers on the plant by multiple factors than the next worst country.
The more aircon the hotter the ambient gets.

So, Singapore needs more air con than most countries? What about Malaysia? Viet Nam, Thailand, Philippines? Please explain this idea

It is Singaporeans that “need” more air-conditioning, since they can afford it and has become accustomed to live in air-conditioned comfort, At least the last couple of generation has.

When I came to Singapore in the 1960s and well into the 1970s air-conditioning was uncommon in private houses and flats. In the 1980s air-conditioned bedroom became more common, as did air-conditioned cars, taxies and buses (but at extra cost)
Until we left Singapore in 2016, we did not have ait-condition in the sitting room, but that was a personal choice.

Being close to equator and at sea level makes Singapore climate naturally hot and humid.
But it is a fact that Singapore, being densely populated, with plenty of tall buildings, roads and parking lots that is absorbing heat during the day and dispersing heat during the night, has become a lot warmer than the neighbouring countries,

PS> If you want to compare, it has to be with other cities, not with large countries.

Singapore has the money so every square inch is aircon’d
They are scared of their environment, trying to run away from it.
Most likely every single dwelling in Singapore has aircon

The naval base at Sembawang did not have air conditioning for the most part except for some very recent additions built in the early 70’s. The officers quarters had doors similar to a western saloon either side of the room with a ceiling fan and terrazzo floors. The breeze flowed through the room with the bed being covered by a mosquito net. With a ceiling height of about 16 feet the rooms were surprisingly cool.
Officers houses in Seletar were similar with shutters and unglazed windows secured with security bars.
The kitchens were very basic but only visited by the officers wife to issue instructions to the Amah who did all the domestic work. If you had more than two children the defence department provided an extra Amah, the climate was considered too taxing for European women to work. This gave them the opportunity to laze around the pool at the Officers Club and develop an appetite for G&T’s.

Yes the old houses left behind by the British (know as “Black & White”) was built to be cool without air-conditioning. There are still many of them around and sought after, especially by expats. Here is one in Admiralty Rd. Sembawang:

PS> This was probably the home of a Flag Officer, or the Director of the Naval Yard.

We lived in Alexandra Park from 1975-80 in what used to be Jr. officer’s quarters for the Westminster Regiment. At the time there were no fences around the houses and the grounds were being maintained by the Park Service. It was like living in an English park in “Good ol’ Blighty”:

Unfortunately the house we occupied was standing empty after we moved out, got eaten by white ants and demolished.
But it looked like this. (Minus the gate and fence):

Behind was Savant’s Quarters, connected by a covered walkway:

As can be seen there are large covered “5-foot way” all around the house to give shadow. The windows had no glass, only louvre, steel mesh and mosquito nets.
Near the ceiling there were 18" tall ventilation openings all around, also covered by mosquito net.

Alexandra Park is still there, more or less unchanged, except that there are now fences around the houses, not just around the park and the houses are air-conditioned.

I was never much of a photographer but I remember the house in Admiralty Road. I think from memory it was the home of the Admiral Superintendent of the naval dockyard ( a Rear Admiral).
The Admiral lived in Beaufort House and was CIC of Singapore. I think the grounds are a park now.

The officers housing had no fences and all gardens and lawns were attended to by a team of gardeners. When a mate of mine put on a BBQ his Amah rounded up the Amahs of invited neighbours and organised everything. All that was required of the host was to stay vertical and not talk left handed.

Did I mention that Black & White bungalows are sought after??:

From this site:

There are still ONE village left in Singapore;:Kampong Lorong Buangkok:
https://newsbeezer.com/singapore/bbc-travel-singapores-last-surviving-village/

1 Like

lots of black and whites still around, Changi, Sembawang, Selatar and some very expensive ones close to town.
Too many snakes and spiders so the locals generally dont live in them