Signet Maritime

[QUOTE=Ctony;162684]Their ads both say ‘academy grad preferred’

So they only go with hawsepipers when they are in a bind? Honest question, not trying to stir the pot.[/QUOTE]

Academy guys walk in the door with all the needed endorsements and are usually willing to take a lesser position while they learn. Hawsepipers are sometimes missing some endorsement or another and can’t fill a position on some of the boats. Most HP guys with the proper license level and endorsements are usually lacking experience actually driving a z-drive(no offence DP guys). Many aren’t willing to play second fiddle to learn or actually put their ego aside and admit they don’t know. Same goes for some of the mariners that are already towing offshore and won’t admit that every tug boat is not created equally and they can’t drive everything. By no fault of their own many working Captains/Mates with a fully endorsed 500+ Oceans can’t afford the pay cut to take the lower position while learning.

…and the President/Owner of the company went to KP.

I think any job should go to the applicant that is best qualified but that was what my experience was when vetting candidates from an operational standpoint. For the record I’m a hawsepiper.

[QUOTE=rshrew;162687]Think the Crowley tugs down there have separate rates at the dock too last I had heard[/QUOTE]

I’ve heard the same.

Great info in this thread. Thanks for all responses.

I had an interview with signet a few years back via Skype. Was told no tattoos or piercings. 28/14, no paid travel, different rates for different jobs(shipwork, towing, etc). The big boss is a KP guy & I talked to him as well. Got into argument with him as well & still offered me a job. I passed

[QUOTE=Tugted;162777]I had an interview with signet a few years back via Skype. Was told no tattoos or piercings. 28/14, no paid travel, different rates for different jobs(shipwork, towing, etc). The big boss is a KP guy & I talked to him as well. Got into argument with him as well & still offered me a job. I passed[/QUOTE]

Mr. Barry Snyder… .

I don’t have any firsthand knowledge about Signet, but based upon what I hear they sound like a pretty good outfit (except for the no beards rule).

No joking there! You could be a Mate the is really a glorified Tankerman doing double-triple duty for just a bit less. PIC is good to have, but a burden to move up.

[QUOTE=z-drive;162661]I’ve heard “it depends”[/QUOTE]

That is correct. The more experience you have, and the more presentable you are the more likihood you can get an even time rotation, or be on a local boat.

I worked for JB Snyder in the early '80s. He was a class act then, as well as now. As a matter of personal experience, he treated his employees then like family and was extremely generous when business was good. Unfortunately the 21% interest rates he was locked into (courtesy Jimmy Carter) spelled the doom of his first company. I don’t work for him currently because he went into the ‘patch’ and that has never held my attention. But three friends, ex shipmates and an acquaintance work there (or were bought in the HGMess) and they seem quite happy.