Should the Captain of the Port impose restrictions?

Oh, my boat handles just fine, my friend.
In self evaluation mode here, I would say that if I were using thrusters while moving at 3 or 4 knots in Port Fourchon, that I had done fucked up.

Well obviously everyone on gCaptain has their stuff together. Just gotta watch out for all dem uddder folks on dat big ole bayou. We ain’t been needin to go on picken dem fights wit eachuddr no how.

Das right brudda yew jest stay outten mah way when I’s a-comming troo!

Dats a big 10-4, over n out good buddy, flip-flop.

[QUOTE=OBXmariner;143459]Dats a big 10-4, over n out good buddy, flip-flop.[/QUOTE]

Tree whistles it is then, good day to you and your crew!

I was taught to handle the boat (twin screw tug and barge with thruster in my case) as if you only had the tugs propulsion and use the wind and current to your advantage. Then if you need the thrusters they are more likely to be effective. If you’re already hooked up and hard over you have nothing to fall back on. That strategy has always served me well.

[QUOTE=TugNtow;143496]I was taught to handle the boat (twin screw tug and barge with thruster in my case) as if you only had the tugs propulsion and use the wind and current to your advantage. Then if you need the thrusters they are more likely to be effective. If you’re already hooked up and hard over you have nothing to fall back on. That strategy has always served me well.[/QUOTE]

Yes, what you’re describing is common amongst experienced boat handlers.

In ports where the assist tug is not reliable I’ve seen (single screw ship) the pilots have the tug push the bow in at a constant bell while using the bow thruster thrusting off, varying the thruster to “throttle” the force of the tug. It makes for a smooth landing.

I don’t see the use of a thruster as demonstrating lack of skill or a crutch though it can be in some cases. It’s true that misreading a situation and having to use a heavy hand on the thruster to correct doesn’t impress the peanut gallery

The OP is failing to realize the the opening of the new C-Ports and of Slip C will lessen congestion by giving more dock space, especially for these new built big boats. Then boats that are standing by won’t have to tie up 6 wide.

Captain I believe you failed to mention the choke points that will still will exist unless Flotation and Halliburton slips are managed better. At this point I don’t care who is the quarterback just as long as someone can read the dad gum play book.

So true sir. But if yah got em use em, by all means smoke those thrusters!

I love my thrusters because I can still remember the days when I didn’t have any.

[QUOTE=OBXmariner;143525]Captain I believe you failed to mention the choke points that will still will exist unless Flotation and Halliburton slips are managed better. At this point I don’t care who is the quarterback just as long as someone can read the dad gum play book.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think traffic control will help that though. Hopefully with more dock space boats won’t need to stack up on the corners and narrow areas.

The biggest need that is going to come is either widening bayou La Fourch or digging a new chancel from flotation canal to the sea. The second option will laden traffic crossing C-Port 1 and the mouth of Halliburton slip which will solve a lot of congestion issues.