Should I make the move to Maersk?

Anybody ever work for Maersk? I got an offer from them to work on one of the new drillships as a DPO for about a 10% pay increase from where I am now.

What is the culture like? They said I would be going to several months of training before I even start my first day of work so that sounds promising…an emphasis on developing employees.

Do they promote from within?
Is there upward mobility or do people never leave the company?
Do the europeans ever get cliquish and snub americans?

Is it really the case that Sr DPO’s at Maersk must have a chief mate license and actually get time toward master while working as SDPO?

Seadrill seems to be the Promised Land in the drilling world. How does Maersk compare to Seadrill?

I just got my Ch. Mate ticket last month; been a drilling DPO for last 1.5 yr at one of the lower tier drilling companies.

[QUOTE=TedTed;117619]Anybody ever work for Maersk? I got an offer from them to work on one of the new drillships as a DPO for about a 10% pay increase from where I am now.

What is the culture like? They said I would be going to several months of training before I even start my first day of work so that sounds promising…an emphasis on developing employees.

Is it really the case that Sr DPO’s at Maersk must have a chief mate license and actually get time toward master while working as SDPO?

Seadrill seems to be the Promised Land in the drilling world. How does Maersk compare to Seadrill?

I just got my Ch. Mate ticket last month; been a drilling DPO for last 1.5 yr at one of the lower tier drilling companies.[/QUOTE]

And this lower tier company is? Do you think because you have a CM license and 1.5 yrs of drilling experience you should be a CM? You should not or would not get time towards your Master working as SrDPO with a CM license, it doesn’t work like that, however some people have found ways to do it. From my understanding with Maersk, it takes a very long time to move up, they do promote from within, but it takes longer than other companies. I would consider Seadrill better than Maersk, also would consider many other companies better than Maersk.

[QUOTE=TedTed;117619]Anybody ever work for Maersk? I got an offer from them to work on one of the new drillships as a DPO for about a 10% pay increase from where I am now.

I just got my Ch. Mate ticket last month; been a drilling DPO for last 1.5 yr at one of the lower tier drilling companies.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should just bypass the CM job and go straight to Master. With all your years of experience, no reason not to. The ink is still wet on one of my chief mate’s new master’s ticket, and he is pushing hard for it after all of 2 years as mate. I am about ready to fire my 1st engineer who has the same mentality. You should take advantage of working for Maersk. I was mate for MLL for quite a few years before going Master, and it helped me a lot as they are very organized and have good programs in place to ensure success on their ships, imagine no different on the drill side. Don’t be in such a rush to hit the top, you might get there before you are ready and will live some hard lessons.

Cmon guys give me a break. Nowhere in my post did I say I was in a rush for a CM job. I just want to know that if I make a move while the drilling party is in full swing and I have a little leverage with my CM license that I am not wasting the effort by moving to a company that is not really worth the effort. No one knows how long the good times are going to roll and I would prefer to be at a company that is a better fit for me than Noble when the music stops; even if it means I advance at a slower rate.

Maersk appeals to me because, as The Commodore suggests in his post, they seem to stress training and competence. As does Seadrill. Where I am at now there are a lot of people in positions where they are barely capable, winging it, and making it up as they go; getting by with bluff and bluster. Thats all fine and dandy, I just prefer an enviroment where there is a spirit of learning, mentoring and cooperation; and people really know their job. I love that kumbaya shit.

Hey PDCMATE, for what reason do you consider Seadrill better that Maersk. Pay? Bennies? What other companies do you prefer to Maersk?

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;117648]And this lower tier company is? Do you think because you have a CM license and 1.5 yrs of drilling experience you should be a CM? You should not or would not get time towards your Master working as SrDPO with a CM license, it doesn’t work like that, however some people have found ways to do it. From my understanding with Maersk, it takes a very long time to move up, they do promote from within, but it takes longer than other companies. I would consider Seadrill better than Maersk, also would consider many other companies better than Maersk.[/QUOTE]

i truly wish it did work like that, but i can assure you that the IADC would squash any USCG attempts to change that part of licensing/upgrading structures. i have the policy letter at home that is a reply from NMC to IADC big wig that confirms MDOU time on DP on station attahced to sea floor is still 100% valid time. the IADC is also very much behind the time and half rule for 12hr watches. MODU mates with no recent time on legitimatley underway ulimited tonnage vessels should have separate, different licenses.

what do you think mr PDC?

one thing i do know for sure is that the british licensing will not count MODU C/M time towards master’s license. as a bare minimum our USCG should do the same but it will probably never happen.

[QUOTE=The Commodore;117669]Maybe you should just bypass the CM job and go straight to Master. With all your years of experience, no reason not to. The ink is still wet on one of my chief mate’s new master’s ticket, and he is pushing hard for it after all of 2 years as mate. I am about ready to fire my 1st engineer who has the same mentality. You should take advantage of working for Maersk. I was mate for MLL for quite a few years before going Master, and it helped me a lot as they are very organized and have good programs in place to ensure success on their ships, imagine no different on the drill side. Don’t be in such a rush to hit the top, you might get there before you are ready and will live some hard lessons.[/QUOTE]

i have sailed on many MLL ships and it is as good as any large outfit and better than some, but i have certainly found that the drilling world is totally different. as a Master/OIM you will not have the autonomy or laititude to function/work as a ship’s master.

unless Maersk drilling is cradle to the grave operation, which i highly doubt, they are just renting their semisub or drillship to the client (shell, conoco, chevron, exxon, valero, marathon, etc.). and when the client is paying you nearly $750K a day to rent your toy, you will do what you’re told.

going to drilling from deep sea car carriers, box boats, lmsr’s, and tankers is a HUGE change.

i doubt that maersk drilling in houston is anything like MLL in norfolk.

[

[QUOTE=TedTed;117678]Cmon guys give me a break. Nowhere in my post did I say I was in a rush for a CM job. I just want to know that if I make a move while the drilling party is in full swing and I have a little leverage with my CM license that I am not wasting the effort by moving to a company that is not really worth the effort. No one knows how long the good times are going to roll and I would prefer to be at a company that is a better fit for me than Noble when the music stops; even if it means I advance at a slower rate.

Maersk appeals to me because, as The Commodore suggests in his post, they seem to stress training and competence. As does Seadrill. Where I am at now there are a lot of people in positions where they are barely capable, winging it, and making it up as they go; getting by with bluff and bluster. Thats all fine and dandy, I just prefer an enviroment where there is a spirit of learning, mentoring and cooperation. I love that kumbaya shit.

Hey PDCMATE, for what reason do you consider Seadrill better that Maersk. Pay? Bennies? What other companies do you prefer to Maersk?[/QUOTE]

i hope your name isn’t ted and you don’t work for Noble…

Bring your own coffee cup! There’s a reason I’m saying this.

[QUOTE=“Johnny Canal;117682”]

i truly wish it did work like that, but i can assure you that the IADC would squash any USCG attempts to change that part of licensing/upgrading structures. i have the policy letter at home that is a reply from NMC to IADC big wig that confirms MDOU time on DP on station attahced to sea floor is still 100% valid time. the IADC is also very much behind the time and half rule for 12hr watches. MODU mates with no recent time on legitimatley underway ulimited tonnage vessels should have separate, different licenses.

one thing i do know for sure is that the british licensing will not count MODU C/M time towards master’s license. as a bare minimum our USCG should do the same but it will probably never happen.[/QUOTE]

Um, time as SDPO won’t count towards a Master’s license no matter what kind of vessel it is on…

[QUOTE=TedTed;117678]Cmon guys give me a break. Nowhere in my post did I say I was in a rush for a CM job. I just want to know that if I make a move while the drilling party is in full swing and I have a little leverage with my CM license that I am not wasting the effort by moving to a company that is not really worth the effort. No one knows how long the good times are going to roll and I would prefer to be at a company that is a better fit for me than Noble when the music stops; even if it means I advance at a slower rate.

Maersk appeals to me because, as The Commodore suggests in his post, they seem to stress training and competence. As does Seadrill. Where I am at now there are a lot of people in positions where they are barely capable, winging it, and making it up as they go; getting by with bluff and bluster. Thats all fine and dandy, I just prefer an enviroment where there is a spirit of learning, mentoring and cooperation. I love that kumbaya shit.

Hey PDCMATE, for what reason do you consider Seadrill better that Maersk. Pay? Bennies? What other companies do you prefer to Maersk?[/QUOTE]

I worked at Seadrill and for the most part enjoyed myself there, the people, the rigs, the money and benefits was in the top tier, an all around good experience. I would also consider Pacific Drilling, Ocean Rig, Odfjell, Dolphin and Rowan good companies to work for in the Drilling Industry.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;117682]i truly wish it did work like that, but i can assure you that the IADC would squash any USCG attempts to change that part of licensing/upgrading structures. i have the policy letter at home that is a reply from NMC to IADC big wig that confirms MDOU time on DP on station attahced to sea floor is still 100% valid time. the IADC is also very much behind the time and half rule for 12hr watches. MODU mates with no recent time on legitimatley underway ulimited tonnage vessels should have separate, different licenses.

one thing i do know for sure is that the british licensing will not count MODU C/M time towards master’s license. as a bare minimum our USCG should do the same but it will probably never happen.[/QUOTE]

I dont agree with seperating MODU licenses from Unlimited Licenses. We have earned the right to be Unlimted License Holders, the amount of BS we have had to put up with and everything associated with handling and dealing with the drilling operations make us excellent at our jobs.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;117689]Um, time as SDPO won’t count towards a Master’s license no matter what kind of vessel it is on…[/QUOTE]

My understanding from talking with the Maersk personnel lady on the phone was that the vessel has a chief mate, and that chief mate functions as the SDPO. Not sure exactly how that works but thats what I think I heard. She also said that the vessel master functions as the barge man in charge of stability. Will find out better when I go for interview next week.

[QUOTE=TedTed;117691]My understanding from talking with the Maersk personnel lady on the phone was that the vessel has a chief mate, and that chief mate functions as the SDPO. Not sure exactly how that works but thats what I think I heard. She also said that the vessel master functions as the barge man in charge of stability. Will find out better when I go for interview next week.[/QUOTE]

Maersk runs it like this:
OIM: Master PIC of Rig
Barge Engineer: Chief Mate (Conventional)- But I think they Require a Master Ticket (Works Nights I believe)
Asst Barge Engineer: Another Chief Mate who works days-CM ticket required-more like a training or Jr Mate.
SrDPO: Just what it is a SrDPO, however Maersk requires a CM license, no one really knows why, and from what I think is they just like to have as many Senior Licenses as possible. But, the SrDPO on those rigs, do not do the function of the CM, they are stuck on the Bridge/CCR.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;117689]Um, time as SDPO won’t count towards a Master’s license no matter what kind of vessel it is on…[/QUOTE]

as long as they are a licensed mate serving as a DPO, then yes, it will most certainly count. it will be the standard 50% value for sailing as position lower than c/m (for a max 180 days), but it will count. (read my thread about british licensing, which admittedly may have changed but i seriously doubt it)

i am not saying it happens a lot, but i am sure it does happen

UNLESS there has been a radical change in way USCG is giving them time based on the marshall islands/vanuatu,etc. discharges/sea service letters that are being submitted…

i have not heard a single thing to lead me to believe otherwise regarding DPO modu mate time. i can assure you they are not filling out discharges/sea service letters that say simply Sr. DPO. it will either say 3/m or 2/m by the time it gets to USCG.

if anybody out there knows this to be changed, please let me and and mr phoenix know…

where’s that USCG gcaptain guy when we need him?

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;117692]Maersk runs it like this:
Barge Engineer: Chief Mate (Conventional)- But I think they Require a Master Ticket (Works Nights I believe)
Asst Barge Engineer: Another Chief Mate who works days-CM ticket required-more like a training or Jr Mate.
SrDPO: Just what it is a SrDPO, however Maersk requires a CM license, no one really knows why, and from what I think is they just like to have as many Senior Licenses as possible. But, the SrDPO on those rigs, do not do the function of the CM, they are stuck on the Bridge/CCR.[/QUOTE]

That kinda clears it up a little, good info, makes what she said on the phone a little more sensible.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;117686]i hope your name isn’t ted and you don’t work for Noble…[/QUOTE]

Why would you hope that? My name isnt ted (its cooler) but I do work for Noble.

You know, I could tell stories about the MAERSK DEVELOPER from now until Monday about how much it sucked to be an American mariner on a rig in our own GoM but frankly I just don’t give a shit!

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=TedTed;117698]Why would you hope that? My name isnt ted (its cooler) but I do work for Noble.[/QUOTE]

You sound like you are quite the piece of work…I recommend you become very quiet suddenly.

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;117692]Maersk runs it like this:
SrDPO: Just what it is a SrDPO, however Maersk requires a CM license, no one really knows why, and from what I think is they just like to have as many Senior Licenses as possible. But, the SrDPO on those rigs, do not do the function of the CM, they are stuck on the Bridge/CCR.[/QUOTE]

Do you know if there are any other companies that run the same or a similar setup as Maersk?

[QUOTE=c.captain;117700]You know, I could tell stories about the MAERSK DEVELOPER from now until Monday about how much it sucked to be an American mariner on a rig in our own GoM but frankly I just don’t give a shit![/QUOTE]

I mean, how bad could it be?

Any boat can be pretty bad if you’re an asshole

[QUOTE=“Johnny Canal;117695”]as long as they are a licensed mate serving as a DPO, then yes, it will most certainly count. it will be the standard 50% value for sailing as position lower than c/m (for a max 180 days), but it will count. (read my thread about british licensing, which admittedly may have changed but i seriously doubt it)[/QUOTE]

Yes, of course it counts as normal mate time. My point was that you cannot get a Master license with only that time, because time as SDPO isn’t time as chief mate. Also, I think you need to have a certain percentage of time on an actual ship, not just on an MODU.