Shoreside transition?

I was wondering if anyone has made the move to a shoreside or a land job. And if so what kind of job did you move into?

I have been enjoying the boats less and less for a while now and I’m thinking about giving it up for a while and being closer to home. I wouldn’t mind working on a day boat but they are few and far between.

I have been working on boats since I was 17 and tugs since 20 and more than anything need some ideas or direction from those who have made the switch.

I was trying to get on in the oilfield to switch things up but that looks like a lost cause for the next few years at least…

Thanks for your input.

I know exactly how you feel. Do you have a skill or have plans of starting your own business ? I quit the boats this spring for a little while, after about 6 weeks you start thinking about crew change.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/PrintPreview/387749100

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/386709900

In 1980 I quit going to sea and got a shoreside job. I lasted until Tuesday into the second week.

I’ve made the transition several times. Sometimes it sticks for quite awhile, and sometimes it doesn’t. I find it much easier to focus on a seagoing job and I like the money and extended periods of time off. A shore job let’s you come home to your hot girlfriend every night, but it doesn’t give you enough time off to actually do much else.

I’ve considered it, but would have to get lucky and work awfully hard compared to the boat life to make comparable money, and still not have any time off. I’d be curious to hear what kind of jobs people who have done it have got, and any that pay decent. I just like making decisions and using my skill without having to explain why or how, something you can’t do in the real world. I can imagine being passed over in every resume review/interview because I “just worked on a boat” for the last however many years. But it crosses my mind too; just can’t see myself giving up equal time for a regular job.

Working shoreside in the marine business is not as glamorous as some think. Less pay, always on call and the never ending emails.

[QUOTE=Saltine;149010]Working shoreside in the marine business is not as glamorous as some think. Less pay, always on call and the never ending emails.[/QUOTE]

The worse thing is having to deal with people like us!

I dont have a hot girlfriend to go home to so thats not the issue. I also know the money wont be nearly as good. I just like the thought of getting to sleep in my own bed at night and not having to deal with bad wx, dirtbag crew mates, and being a walking zombie by day 10. I feel like my life is slipping through my fingers faster and faster every year that goes by. Maybe thats just part of getting older.

What are your qualifications? Where I work is looking for a Ch. Engineer. We work 4 - 10 hr days/week, go home every night night. Rotate the the days worked, so you never get stuck on weekends, while someone else always has them off. Decent benefits.

Sounds like a classic case of burnout. Does not mean you have to give up working on the water, perhaps you’re just tired of working on small tugs going up & down the east coast.

My guess is you are overdue for an extended vacation. Ask the boss if you can opt out of the next few rotations to take care of some personal matters. Use that time to chill, then explore options both on and off the water. Find a career counselor if necessary. Go to the GoM for a serious job search. Check out other venues on bigger boats. At the same time, explore shoreside opportunities.

After a 3 month leave of absence, I think you’ll have a clearer vision of which path to take.

I worked in a large industrial bakery for 8 months (Think Twinkies) and hated every day of it. Driving a half hour, to and from, 5 days a week and working 3-11:30 pm and every weekend (senior plant mechanics got the weekends off after 25 years). Some other mechanic who had Wed./Thur as his day off “bumped me off my Mon./Tues days off” because he had seniority over me as the fourth of July fell on my day off that summer. I called the union hall up and asked if there were any jobs for retirees available and was headed to Diego Garcia a couple weeks later.

[QUOTE=injunear;149012]The worse thing is having to deal with people like us![/QUOTE]

One of the things that has helped me since I came ashore was the fact that I was almost always dealing with people like myself, so I knew the territory. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I came ashore and started working as a field surveyor for ABS. Yeah, the money wasn’t the same (although I had just left the lowest paying seagoing job I ever had and actually started making more) as when I was sailing chief, but for the time it was decent enough. Class surveyors tend to want engineers and those with that college education, so it IS worth something. Experienced mates and captains can get work as marine consultants and surveyors. Can be long hours and lots of work but hey, what isn’t? I spent 10 years with ABS and then moved to energy loss adjusting and have been doing this and am just starting my 18th year at it. Do I miss sailing? Sometimes. Then I sit back and think about the reality of it. I still occasionally get reminders when I have to go offshore for repair monitoring or the like.

[QUOTE=cmakin;149039]One of the things that has helped me since I came ashore was the fact that I was almost always dealing with people like myself, so I knew the territory. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I came ashore and started working as a field surveyor for ABS. Yeah, the money wasn’t the same (although I had just left the lowest paying seagoing job I ever had and actually started making more) as when I was sailing chief, but for the time it was decent enough. Class surveyors tend to want engineers and those with that college education, so it IS worth something. Experienced mates and captains can get work as marine consultants and surveyors. Can be long hours and lots of work but hey, what isn’t? I spent 10 years with ABS and then moved to energy loss adjusting and have been doing this and am just starting my 18th year at it. Do I miss sailing? Sometimes. Then I sit back and think about the reality of it. I still occasionally get reminders when I have to go offshore for repair monitoring or the like.[/QUOTE]
It’s been my observation that it’s easier dealing with a class surveyor or a CG inspection than a port captain or port engineer approaching the end of the fiscal year!

There are a couple of opportunities. Best way is to start new career while you are still working. Look into Marine Surveying, both cargo and physical surveys, look into NAMS and/or SAMS. Need for auditors of safety management systems, look into TVIB. Need for expert witnesses, contact maritime attorneys in your area. What you can earn depends on what you know and your communication skills. You can get started in all of these while still shipping. Chip

[QUOTE=Saltine;149010]Working shoreside in the marine business is not as glamorous as some think. Less pay, always on call and the never ending emails.[/QUOTE]

BINGO!!! And you work just as much.

[QUOTE=Doodlebug;149044]BINGO!!! And you work just as much.[/QUOTE]

If not more. . . .

Absolutely. A good friend was offered a port engineer’s job for a major on the east coast.
I asked if he was going to take it and replied, “Fuck no. I want to leave the job at work when I go home.”

I have tried it a couple of times. My problems are that I have precious few skills that relate to shoreside jobs. I’m a good boat driver so I figured I would be a good truck driver. I am. The problem is I was earning less than half of my seagoing salary. I’ve been through fire fighting scenarios up the wazoo and have had small arms training too many times to count. Plus, I don’t panic in an emergency, I’m a good shot, and I get a thrill out of putting out a fire. The problem is I’m 55 years old and firefighting and chasing bad guys is a bit too strenuous for these old bones.
I have bartended and did well at that. The problem is the money is not consistent. I reckon I’m staying out here as long as I am able and I get a pension. then its down to Florida to be a night shift drawbridge operator at $12.00 per hour.

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;149022]I dont have a hot girlfriend to go home to so thats not the issue. I also know the money wont be nearly as good. I just like the thought of getting to sleep in my own bed at night and not having to deal with bad wx, dirtbag crew mates, and being a walking zombie by day 10. I feel like my life is slipping through my fingers faster and faster every year that goes by. Maybe thats just part of getting older.[/QUOTE]

As the first black President once uttered, “I feel your pain”.

Nearing 50, by day 17 of 21, I have to talk myself out of my rack. But, I remember how much stocking grocery store shelves and driving a limo sucked and exactly where was I going to land a six figure, half the year off gig with a high school education and skills that would barely qualify me to sack groceries, I have come to accept it and enjoy the freedom the money allows.