Are you serious you use DP to get in C-Port 1
This thread has been a lot of fun. I am posting this via airstick from West Africa and must say that, “Boats handlers are born, they aren’t made.” If a Capt./Mate is on DP to back into one of the slips in Fourchon he probably isn’t capable of doing it manually. It’s just job security for us that can do it sans computer when things slow down.
I don’'t buy into this idea that ship handlers are born not made. The traits needed to become a skilled ship handler are:
- The ability to learn
- Motivation to learn
- The opportunity to learn
People differ in their level of spatial skill of course but if you give a person with average or above average intelligence and motivation the opportunity to learn ship handling I’d guess that something like 90% of them would become proficient. Being able to back into c-port doesn’t make you the Chuck Yeager of boat handling. We’re talking about putting a boat alongside, not becoming a ace fighter pilot.
K.C.
C captain
Merc and Volvo have already done it with their outboards and sterndrives/azi things BUT too scared to release to the public so consumers only get the joystick
of course they dont have any modeling
HaHa…another comedian…yawn
Yeah, it is true that ship/boat handlers are not born with their skill. Hell, I know I wasn’t, but as one of you mentioned, after motivation to learn and having the good fortune to watch after both academy & hawsepiper captains, my skills have been increasing and hopefully will keep increasing. No one is ever the ‘best’ at handling a waterborne vessel. Now when it comes to driving a car… I’m the best, that’s something I was born with. Has partly to do with being a male, and not Asian. 
They are born with the ability to learn. There are too many people with licenses that should not have one. I have had mates with 10 or 15 years experience as a mate that cannot move a boat at the dock. These people are born with a handicap that should make them automatically banned from ever touching the controls of a waterborne vessel.
It is only human nature to make a task as easy as possible I suppose!
We do not have a DPS system here “up north”, but if we did I am 100% sure it would be used !
And I am also 100% sure that someone will take an iPhone video of it and upload it on youtube !
and then sent the link to the employer !
That’s how they roll here in NY Harbor !
I have no personal opinion, one way or another !,
However there are some people that want someones job, and will quickly throw you under the bus !
for example: an “employee” was playing on the Xbox while on “watch”, and was video taped by his co-worker , and then he was fired the very next day !
[QUOTE=Bouchard Captain;67178]for example: an “employee” was playing on the Xbox while on “watch”, and was video taped by his co-worker , and then he was fired the very next day ![/QUOTE]
That sounds like a legit whistle blower to me.
[QUOTE=Jeffrox;67183]That sounds like a legit whistle blower to me.[/QUOTE]
I think Bouchard Captain’s point is you have to watch your a$$.
As far as the firing I agree that playing games while on watch may be cause for discipline depending on the circumstances (underway or alongside for example) but in this case sounds like the office didn’t agree with whatever the captain did or that the crew recording did not follow the chain of command. Obviously we don’t know the details but when the office starts second guessing me with regards to crew discipline I don’t like it.
K.C.
This anti-DP attitude some mariners have reminds me off a similar sort of attitude the Royal Navy had when the sail became redundant. Too many mariners are stuck in the past, modern technology is to be embraced, and anything that helps get a job done more safely and efficiently should be used. I sailed with one idiotic chief mate who thought that GPS was one of the worst things to happen to shipping, and couldn’t wait for the day the system crashed, my only guess to why he had this attitude is that he got raped with sextant work during his cadet ship and wanted to pass the misery he received onto everyone else.
I am all about embracing the technology in the industry. I am loving all the things that can be done these days. I am happy that I learned to drive boats too though launching submersibles and crashing barges. I want to gain as much knowledge and training as I can for the next 10 years then find a nice quiet retirement job working 4 months out of the year using my DP knowledge that I have picked up. Course by then I will be dinosaur-ed out like some guys today and the damn ships are all going to be riding electro magnetic fields above the surface of the ocean. Still gonna be a trip though.
C-Captain is a Drag-Queen from up north. Who was unable to pass his physical for his license and is now relegated to standing on the dock watching real captains exit and return to port, how else would anybody have as much time for posting as this idiot does?
C-Captain is a Drag-Queen from up north. Who was unable to pass his physical for his license and is now relegated to standing on the dock watching real captains exit and return to port, how else would anybody have as much time for posting as this idiot does?
poor little Bluewater’s got a stinky folks
OH POO…I MEAN HE REALLY STINKS! WHO’S GONNA CHANGE HIM? NOT ME…I SAY TO LET HIM JUST STAY STINKKKKYYY!
.
ps…here’s a little secret baby bluewater is hiding…he’s in the KP marching band! Here’s a picture I found of him with that big horn in his mouth!

may sure you drain the spit valve little bluewater or you’ll make Captain Force oh so angry at you and throw a tantrum!
what a tuba this guy is! Hey, any of you real maritime students at KP know who bluewater is? If you do, piss in his coronet for me…
Is anyone else fighting the urge to make a crude ‘DP’ joke?
Is anyone else fighting the urge to make a crude ‘DP’ joke?
Never let a moment of divine inspiration ever be lost…they only come along a few times in life and must be seized!
Never been on a dp boat but wouldn’t it be faster/more efficient to use it to dock in the first place?




C-capt why don’t you tell these good old boys what your real name is so they could give you a real nice southern welcome!!! You carpetbagging pussy
Got to love an internet tough guy …