Professional mariners

What is it with the attitudes when it comes to liesences? I don’t understand why some of the mariners that hold these larger liesences think they are so much better than everyone that runs a boat.

speling. . . .

Perhaps, because we can spell?

My spelling is bad sorry that.

I guess my smart phone is smarter than me.

Guys who act that way usually have some deep seated insecurities so they feel the need to constantly put others down to make themselves look better.

Or maybe they’re just dicks.

[QUOTE=boats67;85706]I guess my smart phone is smarter than me.[/QUOTE]

It’s not that your phone is smarter…it’s just that you are STOOPIDER!

Where do these yabboes come from anyway? A swamp?

Tonight while setting in the lovely downtown Fourchon. I overheard a captain cutting down another captain down for moving to slow trying to get in one of the slips. It was really uncalled for.

[QUOTE=boats67;85711]Tonight while setting in the lovely downtown Fourchon. I overheard a captain cutting down another captain down for moving to slow trying to get in one of the slips. It was really uncalled for.[/QUOTE]

Probably the best Captain I ever worked for had a saying (and I am paraphrasing here) that the worst thing you ever would have to say after a botched docking, etc, is “man, I almost had her stopped in time.” You know that same conversation you overheard woud be going the opposite way had the captain contacted the pier or another vessel.

My ship handling mantra is “speed kills”.

[QUOTE=boats67;85701]What is it with the attitudes when it comes to liesences? I don’t understand why some of the mariners that hold these larger liesences think they are so much better than everyone that runs a boat.[/QUOTE]

Just so you know. The size of the “liesences” is the same, about 90 x 125 mm or 3,5 x 4,9 inches. It’s the boat that is larger.

[QUOTE=richard8000milesaway;85717]My ship handling mantra is “speed kills”.[/QUOTE]
This is one of my biggest pet peeves. In Fourchon there is no reason to be screaming around in these large supply boats! I hear all types of excuses for people to move fast and such as the dispatcher wants me there now… These excuses wont matter when you ram a dock and have to explain it to your office. I move around slow and don’t care if it takes me a longer at least I know at the pace I move I have plenty of time to assess a condition and know no one will get hurt that is my main concern!! That speed idea is left over from the cowboy days in the gulf we must change that mentality.

Never approach anything faster than you care to hit it.

[QUOTE=orangejulius;85735]This is one of my biggest pet peeves. In Fourchon there is no reason to be screaming around in these large supply boats! I hear all types of excuses for people to move fast and such as the dispatcher wants me there now… These excuses wont matter when you ram a dock and have to explain it to your office. I move around slow and don’t care if it takes me a longer at least I know at the pace I move I have plenty of time to assess a condition and know no one will get hurt that is my main concern!! That speed idea is left over from the cowboy days in the gulf we must change that mentality.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I always tried to use the least amount possible, but would use everything I had if needed. Whenever I was tied up and the company man would come to the bridge in the morning saying “when did we get here”, or “I didn’t even hear the thrusters”, I thought I did pretty good job.

The best shiphandling compliment I ever got was when the Engineering Department on the Cutter I was assigned as Naviguesser telling me they knew when I was mooring because the mains very rarely came out of clutch.

Gotta respect the guys with no windows.

As a member of the “larger liesences” crowd, over the years I’ve heard the “we’re better” arguments coming from all sides, be it Hawspipe/Academy or large license/ small license. Having worked with all of the above, my experience says that the degree of professionalism
that one has lies mainly with the individual and not the size of his/her license, or what route he/she took to get there.
One of the best boat/ship handlers I ever met was a guy with a 100 tn license …not because he was fast or slow, but because he was SMOOTH
… every stage of his approach ALWAYS flowed into the next stage

Well said. I have seen incompetence, excellence, poor attitudes, good attitudes and a variety of seamanship skills (good and bad) on all sides. It depends on the individual.

[QUOTE=anchorman;85742]I agree. I always tried to use the least amount possible, but would use everything I had if needed. Whenever I was tied up and the company man would come to the bridge in the morning saying “when did we get here”, or “I didn’t even hear the thrusters”, I thought I did pretty good job.[/QUOTE]

I came from the small crew boats where we didnt have all the power that the large supply boats have. There is absolutely no excuse to make alot of noise on the supply boats as the modern supply boat has insane amounts of power compared to what I was use to.

Quoted for truth.

Drive slow look like a pro, Drive fast look like an ass!!!