Shameful use of DP at the dock.....say it aint so

Got to love an internet tough guy …

As I have said before…a little boy. A very little boy. A very, very little boy!

You carpetbagging pussy

Yawn…scratch…laugh

boy, that is a fine pot of coffee this morning :wink:

you’re too young still for coffee bluewater but you can drink coffee with real grownups after you become a man

In the meantime, have somebody change you…

I mean you’re still really stinky son… How are you going to show up for morning colors formation with a stinky like that?

.

Wow…I mean WOW! This has to be the most scatter-brained thread on all of gCaptain! When I first clicked on the thread, I was genuinely interested on the topic of using DP alongside the dock, but things quickly deteriorated. This train was de-railed and then put back on track only to be de-railed and split down multiple tracks. In case you are starting at the end of this thread, here is a short review of some of the topics discussed above:

(not in any particular order)

-Port Fourchon facilities, currents and weather
-the Civil War
-Common types of vessel propulsion, including twin screw, z-drive, cpp, thrusters, etc.
-Clowns
-Academy/Hawsepipe debate
-GoM Companies and skill of operators
-Mason/Dixon line
-the Industrial Revolution
-Current / Past economic trends
-Carptebaggers
-Urination (real and metaphorical)
-Alaska
-the Confederacy
-The KP marching band
-Computers, joysticks and buttons
-Popular characters from 60s/70s TV and Movies
-Penis size (real and imagined)
-Work rotations / schedules
-Interstate 10
-Correct names for parts of a ship
-Titles of ship’s officers
-Justin Bieber
-Dirty Diapers
-Dynamic Positioning
-Teenage girls

…and more! Oh yeah, and there was also some interesting discussion in there about ship handling.

and since this train long ago flew off the tracks, here is a little something to enjoy with your popcorn.

douche-bag-in-training

…and since this train long ago flew off the tracks, here is a little something to enjoy with your popcorn.

Indeed, this thread has been quite the train wreck…

Oh but think of the entertainment value of it! I mean what did we do for such enjoyment before gCaptain came along? Joyriding in the nextdoor old lady’s Rambler, shoplifting cigarettes from the local drug store. setting bags of dog poop on fire on the neighbor’s porch, lookin at the nekkid ladies in dad’s Playboy collection! Nothing has been more liberating to the humor of the professional mariner than gCaptain and I say huzzah to the fine staff who give us this unique site…they are a true American treasure (just like Captain Kenneth R. Force, USMS)

Hand salute!

btw…any of you KP’ers know who’s the babe is on the right? I love them when they’re 4’9" tall :wink:

Whatever works nowadays. I come from the old school where you tried not to even use the bow thruster. I wonder how many of these button pushers could run a conventional boat with no bow thruster? I guess there really isn’t anything to be embarrassed about if you are an adult and still need training wheels. I will say this, give me two 16-645 E7’s and a good thruster in however much current you want at C-Port 1 and I will be in the slip tied up way before the button pusher will. I won’t hit anything either when I do it.

WTF is up your ass! You’ve got three knots of current running down the bayou and you’re a fool NOT to use DP to get into C-Port! I certainly have and am not ashamed at all to say it…pal!

Well… I trained on an old 166’ who’s bowthruster could be described as ‘quaint’. Try your twin screw action now and the rest pf us would just laugh while you got nowhere. The props aren’t full-blade so no walk effect.

As far as your EMDs, I like a mechanical engine over the excessively computerized cats as much as the next guy. But emissions requirements will ultimately kill them off. Not to mention, even the 16cyl 645 isn’t going to cut it without going to the max end of available power… And running an engine flat out isn’t going to do you any favors long term.

I wished they offered the 16 or 20 with a supercharger for low end responsiveness. I don’t care for ultimate to end power as long as it makes alittle more than what we got now.

I wished they offered the 16 or 20 with a supercharger for low end responsiveness

So I hate to have to ask but what’s the difference between a supercharger and a Roots blower? Don’t they both use an engine driven compressor to boost combustion air?

The Roots type supercharger or Roots blower is a positive displacement lobe pump which operates by pumping fluids with a pair of meshing lobes not unlike a set of stretched gears. Fluid is trapped in pockets surrounding the lobes and carried from the intake side to the exhaust. It is frequently used as a supercharger in engines, where it is driven directly from the engine’s crankshaft via a belt or, in a two-stroke diesel engine, by spur gears.

Wikipedia for the above. I do know a roots blower on a EMD is loud as hell!

Roots blower is an engine driven blower that runs off the engine drive train. A turbo runs off the heat from the exhaust gas whereas a supercharger runs off the engine drive train like the Roots. You HAVE to have a roots blower or some other means to get the fresh air for combustion on 2 cycle engines because you have to have a source of fresh air to ignite the fuel. A turbocharger is an optional feature that increases power and efficiency by giving warm air at increased pressure to aid combustion with out taking away from the engine driven power since it runs off the free heat of the exhaust. A supercharger is also an optional feature also but it runs off engine driven power and increases low end response but not necessarily efficiency since it scavenges engine power.

c.captain, Maybe the solution is to get more King’s Pointers at the helm… I don’t think this guy won the Navy ship handling award for using DP :cool:

[QUOTE=droppointalpha;67394]Well… I trained on an old 166’ who’s bowthruster could be described as ‘quaint’. Try your twin screw action now and the rest pf us would just laugh while you got nowhere. The props aren’t full-blade so no walk effect.

As far as your EMDs, I like a mechanical engine over the excessively computerized cats as much as the next guy. But emissions requirements will ultimately kill them off. Not to mention, even the 16cyl 645 isn’t going to cut it without going to the max end of available power… And running an engine flat out isn’t going to do you any favors long term.

I wished they offered the 16 or 20 with a supercharger for low end responsiveness. I don’t care for ultimate to end power as long as it makes alittle more than what we got now.[/QUOTE]

If you are refering to the Halter Marine 166, I ran a couple of them with 16 V 149 mains and 871 bow thrusters, all naturals. None of the DD boats would truely walk in every situation. To get those boats tided up to the rig required a combination of skill, balls and luck… I’ll take a CAT powered DP vessel any day.

c.captain, Maybe the solution is to get more King’s Pointers at the helm…

HA! This boat is leaking at every butt and seam

This year, the Naval Air Forces Pacific Fleet Junior Ship Handler of the Year award was bestowed on King’s Point alumnus Lieutenant Horatio Pipesucker

Let’s see…disqualifying factors

  1. He’s a flyboy
  2. He’s a junior
  3. What shiphandling has he done? I very seriously doubt he ever brought the STENNIS alongside anywhere

Now, if he had brought a WWII vintage knotship alongside a tramper up in St Paul Island in January without a tug or thruster, then I will call him a shiphandler.

In this entire discussion, the simple fact that any twinscrew, twin rudder vessel with reverse reduction gears or CPP fitted with bow and stern thrusters is not a real shiphandling challenge even though Fourchon is a very small place filled with lots of vessels. Imagine running a 350’ cargoship in there with just one prop, no clutch, barely enough HP to move out of her own way, a slow acting rudder, a helmsman, an engineorder telegraph, two anchors and nothing else…

That would be a shiphandling miracle!

Roots blower is an engine driven blower that runs off the engine drive train. A turbo runs off the heat from the exhaust gas whereas a supercharger runs off the engine drive train like the Roots. You HAVE to have a roots blower or some other means to get the fresh air for combustion on 2 cycle engines because you have to have a source of fresh air to ignite the fuel. A turbocharger is an optional feature that increases power and efficiency by giving warm air at increased pressure to aid combustion with out taking away from the engine driven power since it runs off the free heat of the exhaust. A supercharger is also an optional feature also but it runs off engine driven power and increases low end response but not necessarily efficiency since it scavenges engine power.

I see the difference now and was confused when the post spoke about having a supercharger on a 12 or 16 cylinder EMD since they have turbos and not blowers. I guess the point was that with a turbo you need high RPM to get boost but with a blower you get some boost at any enginespeed but without the same efficiency.

Ironically, I have run quite a few vessels over the years with blown 567 amd 645 series EMD’s but not turbo’d. Definitely have run more 379, 398, 399 & 3500 series Cats. Always wondered about the 3600 series Cats? I had heard good things about them. Now all the old series numbers are changed and I have no idea which engine is which.

Like EMD’s and any Caterpillar. Only tolerate Detroit’s. Noisy, leaky, icky engines!

In the spirit of normal deviation from the OP, there are several misconceptions and misnomers to clear up on diesel engines.

  1. Roots blowers ARE superchargers.
  2. 2 cycle diesels are not naturally aspirated. The 149’s, 71’s, ect are NORMALLY aspirated with a roots blower. They can have additional turbochargers.
  3. The compressor on the EMD turbo is mechanically driven until around 700RPM when the exhaust gas takes over and drive clutch is released.

[QUOTE=john;67455]c.captain, Maybe the solution is to get more King’s Pointers at the helm… I don’t think this guy won the Navy ship handling award for using DP :cool:[/QUOTE]

“the Naval Air Forces Pacific Fleet Junior Ship Handler of the Year award was [B]bestowed[/B] on King’s Point alumnus Lieutenant Zachary Brown, who currently serves as Assistant Navigator of the 103,300 ton, 1,092 aircraft carrier USS Stennis. LT Brown was [B]selected[/B] by his command to represent all aircraft carriers stationed on the West Coast.”

I would be surprised if he WON anything, other than the favor of his CO. I may be wrong but this is a competition among Carrier drivers, which are all Aviators, not Mariners. I am not discounting his abilities in the areas in which he has experience or training but to call him the Navy’s best Ship Handler would be a stretch. Unless something has changed dramatically in the last 10 years no JO ever gets to have complete control in a close quarters maneuvering situation, there is just too much at stake for the CO to take that risk.

So to put things in perspective, whatever the criteria are to obtain this title, he beat out his peers for this honor, nothing more, nothing less. And my guess is that the selection process for this competition is based on the letter his CO wrote to the selection panel rather than the act of ship handling.:eek:

I would like to start out by saying this is my first post on gCaptain. The thread started here by Swampnet gave me cause to register and reply to this ridiculous claim. I am currently running as mate onboard the M/V Orleans and have been working onboard the vessel for the past 6 years. I don’t know whether to take your comment as offensive or a compliment. I can say without hesitation that this vessel has never been docked in C-Port 1, or any other dock for that matter, on DP. We pride ourselves in the handling of the vessel in and around docks and would never leave it to a computer program that inevitable will fail at some point. GPS signals in and around Port Fourchon are far from solid and it would be fool hearted to trust it. I can’t speak for the St. Louis, but you can take the Orleans off this list. For the record, I am a hawespiper.

[QUOTE=injunear;67477]In the spirit of normal deviation from the OP, there are several misconceptions and misnomers to clear up on diesel engines.

  1. Roots blowers ARE superchargers.
  2. 2 cycle diesels are not naturally aspirated. The 149’s, 71’s, ect are NORMALLY aspirated with a roots blower. They can have additional turbochargers.
  3. The compressor on the EMD turbo is mechanically driven until around 700RPM when the exhaust gas takes over and drive clutch is released.[/QUOTE]

You are exactly correct Injuneer, it’s just been so long since I saw a natural I considered a roots as if it was natural ! and as you said the compressor on the EMD does not work completely until it heats up and gets released. Damn, you are old…

[QUOTE=tengineer;67494]You are exactly correct Injuneer, it’s just been so long since I saw a natural I considered a roots as if it was natural ! and as you said the compressor on the EMD does not work completely until it heats up and gets released. Damn, you are old…[/QUOTE]

and wise…