Serial numbers

I am a new non maritime member. I have a client who has requested I find new parts for his Nigata 8MG25BX diesels. Unfortunately the spare parts supplier in Australia cannot help me unless I supply serial numbers of the ship’s engines. All i know is the ships original name " SAE KYUNG GI built 1981 in Korea. My client tells me that the vessel is still in original condition with the original engines. I was hoping that someone could tell me if there is a document/register where i could look up the vessel by vessel name and find therefore engine model and serial numbers. Can anyone assist ?

the serial numbers for all the machinery should be contained in the vessel’s continuous survey. That class society surveys the vessel? Is it KR? Get the class and class registration number and you should be able to get all you seek on the internet. That or have the owner query the vessel for the chief to provide serial numbers for you. It is most simple…NO?

The information available over the internet most likely will not include the serial number. Your latter comment is the best.

my error…I thought all data on machinery was in the continuous survey including model and serial numbers

My office would ask us for the serial #'s off the vessel every time needed rather than consult their notes or any other resource; shocking you wouldn’t bother the chief right away! That is what office folks do best, request the same information time and time again as we have nothing better to be doing.

[QUOTE=z-drive;133357]My office would ask us for the serial #'s off the vessel every time needed rather than consult their notes or any other resource; shocking you wouldn’t bother the chief right away! That is what office folks do best, request the same information time and time again as we have nothing better to be doing.[/QUOTE]

Hey now, lay off of us office folks. Lol

[QUOTE=z-drive;133357]My office would ask us for the serial #'s off the vessel every time needed rather than consult their notes or any other resource; shocking you wouldn’t bother the chief right away! That is what office folks do best, request the same information time and time again as we have nothing better to be doing.[/QUOTE]

Nowadays a lot of this is in the PM database from build, or the tech supt’s notebook…

This level of detail (s/n) is usually NOT in the survey status report but may be in the certificates associated with the ship’s classification.

but the easiest solution (for the original post ) on an obscure set up is, “Ask the chief.” And if it is for the engines, he should be most pleased to reply. Yes, you work for the company.

Every boat that I have worked on during the past 30+ years have engine tags, somewhere on the block, the side or front that contains all pertinent engine info such as HP, Serial Number etc. I worked on an old seismic boat that had EMDs built in the 1940s that still had the tag. Unless it was painted over it should be visible .

Doubtful it will be painted over, we don’t usually let AB’s in the engine room…