Best way to search for info about a vessel?

How to find the the IMO number and IMO data about a vessel? Especially, how to search using former names?

How to find the US Official number and USCG data about a vessel? Especially, how to search using former names?

How to search for info about vessels no longer in service (sunk, scrapped, fisheries buybacks, etc.)? Especially, using former names?

I use equasis.org for most of that info. When I want to find out where a vessel was built I use shipbuildinghistory.com.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;70316]How to find the the IMO number and IMO data about a vessel? Especially, how to search using former names?

How to find the US Official number and USCG data about a vessel? Especially, how to search using former names?

How to search for info about vessels no longer in service (sunk, scrapped, fisheries buybacks, etc.)? Especially, using former names?[/QUOTE]

the two best sites for US vessels are:

USCG Port State Information Exchange

&

NOAA National Marine Fisheries Vessel Documentation Database

for foreign vessels, there are a tons of sites but I prefer ShipSpotting.com since it has the most photos

enjoy your searches!

If it is abs you can go here http://www.eagle.org/safenet/record/record_vesselsearch

A lot of times, I just use google. Use the vessel’s name (put it in quotes if it is multiple names, i.e. “CHARLES LYKES”; I then add IMO or “IMO No.” That will give an IMO No. that you can then do another search as IMO 7704461 (or the IMO no. that you get).

The ABS site is also pretty good for vessels classed by ABS. Equasis can also be good. I have several different site that I use. I find the google method to be best for a quick search, though.

So far, I have had the best luck with the ABS site because it allows searched under former names.

I could not use the equais site because no matter how many times I try it will not accept the anti-spam code that i type in.

Yeah, but ABS is only good for ABS classed vessels.

[B]You can also try [U]Lloyds[/U] , There is no one huge resource, you have to combine a lot of them depending on what your looking for.

This makes me go back and ask “gCapt” again, for our [I]TOOLS[/I] page, where after compiling all the resources they could be listed and organized there. :cool:

I forgot to add that some of the sites/resources that you may find, are subscription based. So if you have a lengthier project in mind, you could sign up for a trial to get ya by.[/B]