Seismic / Research Positions

I don’t see much talk about the Seismic side in the Jobs Forums. I decided to start one to see what is going on in the field. I took a year off from the sea and am now trying to get back into the swing of things. My old spot was replaced by foreign captain (cheap).

I have contacted a few of the head hunter companies and the day rates they said they could get me were laughable. I have a 1600 Ton Masters (oceans) STCW as same but no DP, they said they could get me maybe 300-400. Any suggestions for companies running US flagged Seismic / Research vessels would be greatly appreciated.

As far as Seismic work, most stuff in the Gulf is foreign flag. You have Fairfield out of Houston, but they don’t have much working from what I know.

On the research side, I could be wrong but I don’t think the Woods Hole, or Scripps pay that well. Chouest has 2 research vessel, the Nathaniel B Palmer and the Laurence M Gould. I heard they are looking for people for the Gould, but not sure on that. No idea what the pay is. I am sure someone could fill you in on that.

As most Seismic Vessels nowadays are DP1, DP2, and DP3 you’ll probably find it difficult (at best) to find an opening in that niche of the Offshore Oilfield Industry. Don’t give up though…it seems that the oilfield has picked up some in the last week… I have had four job offers in just the last few days and have accepted one. I start Monday…

Congrats Steve!!!

[QUOTE=SailorDaniel;30979]Congrats Steve!!![/QUOTE]
Thanks Dan…

[QUOTE=stevefoster;30985]Thanks Dan…[/QUOTE]

So who did you end up going with?

Very good to hear Steve, hope I am not far behind.

[QUOTE=roversea;30992]Very good to hear Steve, hope I am not far behind.[/QUOTE]
[B]Hey Bob, How the hell are you, try Southern States Offshore, Hornbeck Offshore, and Oceaneering. Also Fairfield Nodal called me but never called back. I was told that Seacor just got a big contract in the Arctic Circle area but I don’t know if they are hiring yet…Keep at it…Steve.[/B]

[QUOTE=stevefoster;30975]As most Seismic Vessels nowadays are DP1, DP2, and DP3 you’ll probably find it difficult (at best) to find an opening in that niche of the Offshore Oilfield Industry. Don’t give up though…it seems that the oilfield has picked up some in the last week… I have had four job offers in just the last few days and have accepted one. I start Monday…[/QUOTE]

Congratulations, Steve!

Great Job Steve…

Check out this site, http://www.unols.org/ They have all the research outfits listed and they have a jobs link.

Thanks guys for the responses. I guess i should have said I am a seismic captain by trade. And while a few of them are DP you would be surprised how many are not. I knew about Fairfield but they only hire mates and promote from within. I applied anyway and was told nothing was open at this time. UNOLS use to be a great site to find my type of jobs but its slowed down lately. It has been my experience that in the research side you have alot of small companies that dont have an active hiring process but rely on the crew to recommend people they know and as a last resort they go to headhunters. I would rather not go the headhunter route. Anyway, thanks again and best of luck to you all.

J

Been out of the loop for a while and was wondering which companies are running seismic? I know of ECO, Gulfmark, and Fairfield, are there any others? Thanks!

I don’t know what ECO has left doing seismic. Fairfield has the Fairfield New Venture working. They are working here in the Miss Canyon Area. Not sure about Gulfmark. I think that Conti was doing seismic.

Call 3PSC or is it 3PCS, I can never remember or SIU or AMO. There are 8 ships and these guys run the show right now. I landed a job on the Bowditch, she was in Manila. I took the job because she was in Manila. You ever been to Manila? Who cares what the pay is, it is a free flight to some pretty good ports around the world. the food is good and you get 5 days liberty for every 30 days at sea. It is one of those sleep, eat and do the stretch jobs. There are girls on the ship and they pretend being female inmates locked down for 90 in a male prison. It’s a government boonndoggle. It’s a fun job with lots of booze. Go careful on the liver and watch out for the shemales in Singapore, they can be devilishly deceptive.

[QUOTE=mastlight;46045] watch out for the shemales in Singapore, they can be devilishly deceptive.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like some of the best advice I have heard on this (or any other forum)!!

I don’t want to know how you know though!

[QUOTE=cappy208;46071]Sounds like some of the best advice I have heard on this (or any other forum)!!

I don’t want to know how you know though![/QUOTE]

We used to set up all the newbies with a ‘billy boy’ on their first trip. About 80% came back down the stairs yelling ‘you dirty rotten son of a bioch**’, well the other 20% stayed for 2 hours…
And even with a ‘crocodile dundee’ you cant be sure until they drop their pants…

I started my career with research ships, those white hulled ships. First of all they are good looking ships, I like the design. They flew me to Panama, put me up in a hotel and I had the night to myself and the chicas. We spent five days docked down at Rodman. Once at sea we did lines. 90 miles on course at 8 knots in non shipping lanes, auto pilot, just watch the speed. Bridge is cool with a monitor showing a little ship symbol going down a red line. Push a button to control engines while in bridge control. Off watch was partying with the girls from the charter. At least six girls on board the whole time I was there and they partied like they were in a male prison. She moved in with me so I guess you could say I had a celly. 30 days later back in Panama but the celly got pissed off cause I was going in town wit the chicas. 5 crazy days in Panama and then back to lines. I did four months on her, didn’t have much money but had a swell time. I done four of these ships and enjoyed much more than some other jobs. On these ships you get to hang out in Singapore, Manila, Japan, Panama, Indonesisa, etc. But the problem is very little money, no credit with unions, at least 120 days and did I say no money. It’s a toss up I suppose. I will go back there though one day.