Seeking employment advice (soon to be 3A/E)

Hi all,
I will be graduating from CMA at the end of april with my 3A/E license. Im currently job hunting and I’m open to all employment opportunities. I realize starting out in the industry I can’t be too picky but ideally I would like something with an even rotation or as close to even as I can get (NO MSC). I’m not very picky on any other job criteria other than I want to be able to work, learn, and progress. There seems to be a lot of jobs on tugs so that is something I’m seriously considering. Also thinking about just joining MEBA and trying to sail out of the hall but I’m not sure what kind of gigs I’ll be able to land doing that.

If anybody could share any advice/suggestions/etc. I would greatly appreciate it.
Phrased another way, if you were in my position fresh out of school, what would you do and why?

If I was in your shoes I would focus on my license. The single biggest limiting factor in your career will be your endorsement. Spend the beginning of your career taking positions that will allow you to advance to CE unlimited. After that you can focus on a sector of the industry that appeals to you long term. Every sector of every industry will have swings up and down. A unlimited ticket is the only thing that will open a door to all industries for you.

To heck with a 3rd A/E job! A DPO job on a drillship is where it’s at!

[QUOTE=TSCOTT;130306]If I was in your shoes I would focus on my license. The single biggest limiting factor in your career will be your endorsement. Spend the beginning of your career taking positions that will allow you to advance to CE unlimited. After that you can focus on a sector of the industry that appeals to you long term. Every sector of every industry will have swings up and down. A unlimited ticket is the only thing that will open a door to all industries for you.[/QUOTE]
thanks for the input, sounds like MEBA would be my best bet for unlimited sea time

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;130308]To heck with a 3rd A/E job! A DPO job on a drillship is where it’s at![/QUOTE]
pardon my ignorance of the offshore drilling industry but isn’t DPO a decky job?

That was my poor attempt at humor fella. All kidding aside the world is your oyster. It always seems there are more mates than engineers. You picked the better career path (pardon my bias). It always seems there is a shortage of good engineers. Wherever you go just make sure you are getting tonnage and HP. At this point in your career it’s all about paying dues and earning seatime. Make sure you can upgrade without restrictions on your license.

Unless the rules have changed, time on vessels over 100GT and over 4000HP will count toward your upgrade up to 2nd and 1st asst. I assume you still have to sail as 1st on a vessel that has 1st asst on the COI to advance to Chief.

Thanks for the info guys. So if I understand correctly, a lot of the harbor/ship assist tugs would qualify as unlimited sea time?
If so thats good news but somehow that doesn’t seem right. Isn’t there something about coastal, near coastal, oceans, etc. or does that only apply to deck licenses?

Sorry for all these basic questions but unfortunately we don’t learn anything about licensing and such in our coursework at CMA.

[QUOTE=dieselengineer;130329]
Sorry for all these basic questions but unfortunately we don’t learn anything about licensing and such in our coursework at CMA.[/QUOTE]

Thats because most of the instructors there never went out and sailed. There used to be a couple, but I dont know if there are nowadays. Talk to Robbie J if he is still there. He actually went out and sailed up to Cheng. Also if Mader is there he was a pretty smart guy, but not sure what is license status was. I am a CMA grad and I am currently sailing Cheng with OSG (MEBA contract). Certainly right now it seems the oil fields is the place to be. I can not speak for that. You can always join MEBA then sail as much or as little as you want. You can pay the $100 to get a card then see if you like it. If you find after your first ship its not for you then move on. No harm no foul and your out the $100.

Yes you can still climb the ladder to 1st on any boat over 4000hp without restrictions other than just being motor. My reading of the new regs has no change in this. You will be limited by your exp in some instances. MEBA is probably your best bet for time with tonnage. I can attest that AK factory boats are your best bet for being able to work on most everything right out I the gate. Be careful though because outside of hr for the factory boats most hr people have no expiriance with the systems and complexity of these boats to them you will just be a engineer on a fishing boat.

[QUOTE=brjones;130331]Thats because most of the instructors there never went out and sailed. There used to be a couple, but I dont know if there are nowadays. Talk to Robbie J if he is still there. He actually went out and sailed up to Cheng. Also if Mader is there he was a pretty smart guy, but not sure what is license status was. I am a CMA grad and I am currently sailing Cheng with OSG (MEBA contract). Certainly right now it seems the oil fields is the place to be. I can not speak for that. You can always join MEBA then sail as much or as little as you want. You can pay the $100 to get a card then see if you like it. If you find after your first ship its not for you then move on. No harm no foul and your out the $100.[/QUOTE]
Robbie J is still here, Mader retired. I should go talk to Robbie.

[QUOTE=TSCOTT;130347]Yes you can still climb the ladder to 1st on any boat over 4000hp without restrictions other than just being motor. My reading of the new regs has no change in this. You will be limited by your exp in some instances. MEBA is probably your best bet for time with tonnage. I can attest that AK factory boats are your best bet for being able to work on most everything right out I the gate. Be careful though because outside of hr for the factory boats most hr people have no expiriance with the systems and complexity of these boats to them you will just be a engineer on a fishing boat.[/QUOTE]
Good stuff!

I’m really leaning towards MEBA. I like the freedom it offers and I’m also attracted to the fairness and transparency of the distribution of jobs. I recently interviewed with a well known offshore drilling company that said they need lots of engineers. The interview went very well, but talking amongst my peers who also interviewed with them, and who actually got called back after the interview, it became apparent the company is more interested in who you know and if you happen to be a non-traditional gender rather than who is the most qualified. Ain’t nobody got time fo dat!