Seagoing -> Management

When I get out of the CG I plan to enter the industry. My goal is to spend a several years underway on ATB’s or Harbor tugs but eventually I want to transition into a management/administrative position for a tug/transportation/offshore supply company.

Do many people do this? Is seagoing experience looked highly upon for these types of companies? By the time I expect to do this I will have several college degrees in addition to seagoing and military experience.

Also, are there specific jobs that people with that mixed experience usually get offered?

Thanks

What is your specialty? Typically blue suits nestle into the company security, safety and compliance end.

[QUOTE=cappy208;48890]What is your specialty? Typically blue suits nestle into the company security, safety and compliance end.[/QUOTE]
Im interested in going from the wheelhouse to the office. I guess what Im trying to figure out is if experience as a master/mate helps land a corporate job at a towing/transportation company. Are the executives of these companies usually former mariners themselves?

[QUOTE=commtuna;48909] I guess what Im trying to figure out is if experience as a master/mate helps land a corporate job at a towing/transportation company.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. That is why I asked what your specialty is/was. Someone who is heavily into engineering, compliance, and regulations would jump WAY over a generic 41’ coxswain.

IMHO what Management is looking for is NOT boat captains but boat maintenance people to move into shoreside jobs. Sometimes this segways into being attractive to engineering types. But sometimes it is wheelhouse people who can make the transition.

From what I have seen, none of the shoreside personnel make what we make out on the water. AND they are permanently married to the beeper, cell phone, and have NO time off. At least I have half the year to myself!

I would NEVER consider a shoreside job again. BTDT It sucked.

Yes there is opportunity for the jump you describe. I jumped from master to barge ops and chartering, to working for a major oil company in chartering. Yes if your making 500 a day you will take a pay cut but you move ashore because you want to. I tired of being gone 6 plus months a year. In the end the sailing time will help but there is a point where you be too entrenched to leave. IMHO 2 years as mate on a oil unit is best training then move ashore pay cut is not as great. Then figure what part of the industry your interested in, owners, brokers, services, oil companies. Start making networks now. Good luck.

There is a wide selection of high quality silver pendants. These silver pendants can easily be accessed by looking through jewelry stores. silver pendant in numerous designs are also on sale in online shopping stores. The marketing of silver pendants avails of the latest technology to bring the products easily and quickly to its customers.

cheap bridesmaids dresses
affordable bridesmaid dresses
junior bridesmaid dresses
wholesale bridesmaid dresses

Thanks Tim. I really dont know what Im specifically looking to do yet but I know it will involve maritime transportation of some sort.

In my experience, most vessel operating companies want for management:

1. recent academy graduates for entry level management
  2. MBA’s for senior management
  3. engineering licenses/degrees for vessel operations and management

Left out of this equation are the masters and senior deck officers. Somehow nobody wants us for more than either driving a boat or doing some dumb ass job such as ISM auditor or safety Nazi.

Once upon a time, senior management at major liner shipping companies were the masters who had been with the companies for decades and wanted to go ashore. They were revered as masters and accomplished managers who knew ships and how to operate them. Today, you can’t work on the top floor unless you know how to squeeze every last drop of blood from an already white corpse.

[QUOTE=c.captain;49034] Today, you can’t work on the top floor unless you know how to squeeze every last drop of blood from an already white corpse.[/QUOTE]

It’s a good thing I finished my swig of Tea as I read that!!! I almost died from laughing. Too bad it’s the truth!