Sea Time as Officer on a training ship

I know that a NE School Ship did in fact issue Discharges by License and that at least one person never held a spot any higher that 2nd Mate but was able to increase his license all the way to Master. This was back in 1988-1990, so I am sure that a lot has changed.

[QUOTE=Shipnc’s;194152]…Because they are also getting day and a half time on the training ship. It’s just a loophole that should be looked into and decide if the such is aware and ok with it or it has slipped by.[/QUOTE]

They shouldn’t be. The regulation giving 1.5 to 1 credit for training ships is for “cadet service.” See 46 CFR 10.232(h)(5).

Is there anyway for a mariner to query in the nmc to see who the discharged CM was on a specific ship?

Outside of a FOIA request wouldn’t that be kind of personal information. That’s pretty much the equivalent of asking the State DMV what car a random person, with whom you have no relation whatsoever, did their road test on.

Maybe your right I was thinking more of just a crew list, not so much detail

[QUOTE=Shipnc’s;194196]Is there anyway for a mariner to query in the nmc to see who the discharged CM was on a specific ship?[/QUOTE]

Can the Coast Guard do that? Yes, if a crew list and/or certificates of discharge were provided by the ship/company to the Coast Guard. Mariner names, vessel names, dates and capacity served are all data fields and the data can be queried for any combination of the entries in those fields.

Can you ask for it and get it? Probably not. That is most likely considered protected personal information that is not disclosable under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).