Sea Service credit from NMC as Mate on non-"seagoing" ship exceeding license tonnage


I hold a Master NMT 200GRT/500GT & have the opportunity to serve as Mate on a vessel >200GRT but <300GRT. She’s crewed by volunteers, carries no pax for hire or cargo & gets underway only on inland waters; she has no CoI & her CoD’s trade indicator is “Coastwise Unrestricted, Recreational.”

Before I move forward, I want to be sure NMC will credit the service to me as Mate for future upgrades, since 46CFR15.810© states “An individual in charge of the navigation or maneuvering of a self-propelled, uninspected, documented, SEAGOING vessel of 200 gross tons or over must hold an appropriate license or MMC authorizing service as mate.”

But 46USC2101(33) says ““seagoing motor vessel” means a motor vessel of at least 300 gross tons as measured under section 14502 of this title, or an alternate tonnage measured under section 14302 of this title as prescribed by the Secretary undersection 14104 of this title making voyages beyond the Boundary Line.” And 46CFR1101(3) says ““Seagoing vessel” means a self-propelled vessel in commercial service that operates beyond the Boundary Line established by 46 CFR part 7. It does not include a vessel that navigates exclusively on inland waters.”

Since the vessel is not “seagoing”, because it navigates only on inland waters & is not in commercial service, does this mean I can serve as Mate & be credited by NMC for the service? Many thanks, JGB

Little help on this one, guys?

As I recall no license is required for a yacht under 300 tons, so if that is still the case, it should be legal for you to serve as mate of a yacht under 300 tons. You will not be sailing on your license, as no license appears to be required, but you will acquire the seatime while holding a license. If in doubt ask your local USCG marine inspection office.

The USCG should accept seatime on this vessel. Yacht seatime is routinely accepted. It would be inland route seatime, but that is also useful up to a point depending on what license you try to upgrade to.

You might also ask Amy at MPT. They train a lot of yacht captains and crew. You could also hire one of the license consultants to advise you.

Of course it’s creditable. It will be counted as INLAND time though. Any vessel seatime counts for something. Although the ‘higher up’ the license chain you go, this will only ount towards the aggregate number of days. All upper licenses require some time on vessels OVER XXX tons, with XXX days serving upon the capacity of your license, or as ‘AB, Quartermaster or wheelsman’. You are probably trying to ready for 500/1600 upgrade. Get out of the USC and get into the licensing requirements. Don’t bog down on the minutae.
You seem to be focusing on the manning or operational aspect. Instead look into the USCG licensing requirements. They are what you will be needing to comply with.

Try that.

Many thanks, guy; I’m an f-ing yachtie, so I have days as Master & on oceans up the ying. But as you guessed, I need time as Master/Mate on heavier tonnage to move to the next level; much appreciated, JGB

[QUOTE=JGB;102701]Many thanks, guy; I’m an f-ing yachtie, so I have days as Master & on oceans up the ying. But as you guessed, I need time as Master/Mate on heavier tonnage to move to the next level; much appreciated, JGB[/QUOTE]

Yachting experience can be a very good thing. I don’t know where you are, so I cannot make any local suggestions.

MPT is in the heart of yachting in Fort Lauderdale and they are super well connected in the yachting business. I suggest that you talk to MPT, figure out what courses and seatime would best advance your career and best prepare you for your next license upgrade, and go take a course for a week at MPT, You will be able to network and find out about plenty of good yachting jobs at MPT.

I’ll check w/MPT; I’m already an OICNW, but would like to go full commercial this year. Hope to do my TOAR, Tank PIC & VSO (and possibly DPO) in the next 12 months, as well as sit for 500GRT Oceans Master, if I have the tonnage.