Dual tonnage

Hey chaps, a question for those who know too much:

If I work on a vessel that is dual tonnage per the sea service letter/COI ex. 99grt/919gt, can that service be used to apply for a 1600grt endorsement in today’s standards ? I ask because A thread was created some years ago that I was reading on asking the same thing, so I called the NMC but was informed ONLY GRT can be used in Sea service for endorsements that require GRT. Thanks for any input and if you need help understanding what I’m asking please don’t hesitate to ask.

See CG-543 Policy Letter 11-12.

In short, if your boat is crewed and operated like a <100 ton boat then they’ll only count the 99 GRT. If it’s crewed and operated like a 919 GT boat then they’ll give you credit for 919 GT. Since I expect the company only crews it like a <100 ton boat then you’re probably screwed.

That is far too sophisticated for the typical NMC Evaluator. It’s probanly going to be luck of the draw.

Try to get your seatime letter written using referring only to the higher GT.

Maybe you can get the letter written to say something like:

“This ship was crewed and operated exclusively as a 919 GT ship.”

Or some similar magic words. This is an area where a good license consultant should be helpful.

I’m still waiting for USCG to make the move to a single measurement system.

You’ll probably have to prove somehow the vessel is being operated at the higher manning levels.

If, for example, the OP only has a 100 GRT license and is running as Master or Mate they’ll immediately bust you and the company for lying.

I currently hold a 200grt near coastal and my current employer issues it’s sea time letters as dual tonnage. I was looking to see if I could use the GT for sea time based on upgrading to 1600grt right away rather than 500grt. I don’t think my employer would be Keen on issuing a letter stating that the Manning for my vessel was to meet the GT requirements.

Thanks for the policy letter, It sums it up for me.

The NMC wouldn’t accept it even if they did since you’re obviously not licensed for that tonnage.

I’d say just upgrade to a 500 GRT and 3,000 GT OSV. There’s few boats over 500 GRT that aren’t OSVs anyway.

Yep, that’s the plan. I have no desire for oceans or large tankers and such.

For the 3000GT OSV, you’re referring to the national endorsement?

Correct. In order to actually use it you’re going to need the STCW classes and assessments for OICNW (and also the classes and assessments for Master if you’re getting that, you never said what level license you were going for) but you’re also going to need all that in order to ever use your 500 GRT Near Coastal anyway.

Friend of mine was running a boat overseas with a 200 grt/500 gt license. The time he accrued on it helped him go straight to a 1600 grt master for his upgrade. His boats ITC/GT rating was over 400. Because of the fact his sea letter specified he was overseas on this vessel his evaluator acknowledged the higher of the two tonnage ratings of the vessel.

That’s a very different situation than this though.