Schuyler Alumni To Head US SAILING

Gary Jobson to be Nominated as Next President of US SAILING

PORTSMOUTH, R.I. (March 28, 2009) – US SAILING, the national governing body of the sport, announced Saturday at US SAILING’s Annual Spring Meeting in Denver that the Nominating and Governance Committee intends to nominate Gary Jobson of Annapolis, Md. as the organization’s next president. The position of president will be elected by the board of directors at US SAILING’s Annual General Meeting in Houston on October 25, 2009.

“US SAILING is a vital component of our sport,” said Jobson. “At this time in my life, I look forward to serving the sport that has been so good to me for so many years.”

“The committee searched for a candidate who possesses skills as a great communicator, negotiator and motivator,” explained Janet C. Baxter, chairman of the Nominating and Governance Committee. “We sought a person firmly committed to the sport, who understands our organization, the USOC and ISAF, and someone who will bring fresh thinking to the board. US SAILING needs a strong strategic thinker to be our leader and to look at our long term goals. As we see the impacts of a rough economy, Gary’s experience as a public speaker and fundraiser could not come at a better time.”

Jobson, 58, has been a strong supporter of US SAILING and is currently a member of the board of directors. He also has served on the Olympic Sailing Committee for 12 years. A world class sailor, television commentator and author, Jobson has served as an ambassador to the sport. He has authored 16 sailing books including the first US SAILING Instructor’s Manual, and is editor-at-large of Sailing World and Cruising World magazines. Jobson was the television broadcast producer for the sailing competition at the 2008 Olympic Games on NBC. Jobson has won many championships in one design classes, the America’s Cup with Ted Turner in 1977, the infamous Fastnet Race and many of the world’s ocean races. In college he was an All-American sailor three times and was twice named College Sailor of the Year (1972, 1973) while at SUNY Maritime College.

In October 2003 Jobson was inducted into the America’s Cup Hall of Fame by the Herreshoff Marine Museum. In 1999 Jobson won the Nathanael G. Herreshoff Trophy, US SAILING’s most prestigious award. This trophy is awarded annually to an individual who has made an outstanding contribution to the sport of sailing in the United States. In 1998 he received the Captain Joe Prosser Award, which is given to an individual who made an exemplary contribution toward improving the quality and safety in the training or instruction of sailors. Jobson is also the National Regatta Chairman of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s sailing program, which has generated over $28 million.

Jobson has been ESPN’s sailing commentator since 1985. He won an A.C.E. (Award for Cable Excellence) for the 1987 America’s Cup. In 1988 Jobson won an Emmy for his production of sailing on NBC at the Olympic Games in South Korea and won an Emmy for the 2006 Volvo Ocean Race on PBS. Over the past 35 years, Jobson has given over 2,300 lectures throughout the world. He started his career as a sailing coach at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy and the U.S. Naval Academy. He is also an active cruising sailor, and has led ambitious expeditions to the Arctic, Antarctica and Cape Horn.

Gary and his wife, Janice, have three daughters – Kristi, Ashleigh and Brooke.

The US SAILING President serves for a one-year term and a maximum of three consecutive terms. Current US SAILING President Jim Capron, also of Annapolis, Md., has led the organization since November 2006. His term will end at US SAILING’s Annual General Meeting in October 2009.
US SAILING members will elect board members by voting electronically in September and October, or in person at the annual general meeting. The new board will meet immediately to elect the new US SAILING President, Secretary and Treasurer, all who have terms expiring.

“I am delighted that the Nominating and Governance Committee has selected Gary Jobson as nominee for the next US SAILING President,” said Capron. “Gary’s extraordinary career in sailing allows him to leverage his knowledge and experience in leading the association and the sport in the future. I look forward to working closely with Gary in the coming months as we prepare for the change of watch.”