Saint Greta

This is very much the same as when some young people organised rallies after their school mates where killed by a deranged gunman in Florida; They must have been coached by grown ups. Maybe even actors that played “fake” students. No way some 17 year old kids could organise a march on the White House without being manipulated by somebody for political reasons etc. etc.

The same with this 16 year old girl who have done something amazing. She has engaged the very young and waken up some older people to the maybe most pressing problem of the day. If that include some of those who can afford to fly in private jets, so much the better.

There is nothing easier than to find something wrong with everything. To come up with a solution is a lot more difficult.
I don’t say that she have solved the problem of global warming, but she has done a hell of lot more than you and I. All hail to her for that.

if you think there is global warming and if you think it is caused by humans??

1 Like

soil loves the nitrogen, the sea life is killed by it

1 Like

I don’t know anything about Singapore but Japanese streets are clean because they toss their trash in the rivers and sea.

I used to go to Sendai and the beach near the port looked like a city dump.

Just pointing out a falacy to the claim of not impacting the environment. And just to be “real” for you, it’s not just her, it’s her family and the crew. Probably benign on their own, but once everyone starts doing it… Let’s not forget the boat crew that is flying back home. Plain and simple, it was all a big publicity stunt.

No need to feel sorry for me. I don’t give a damn what you think. As far as the guy in the mirror, I’m quite happy not to be the crotchety old man that I am responding to.

This is very much the same as when some young people organised rallies after their school mates where killed by a deranged gunman in Florida; They must have been coached by grown ups. Maybe even actors that played “fake” students. No way some 17 year old kids could organise a march on the White House without being manipulated by somebody for political reasons etc. etc.

You are 100% correct on this!

I didn’t see that claim being made. Do you have a link?

Thanks. You just proved my point in another thread.

Can you please elaborate? I ask because we used to empty our dive boat holding tank in the same general area offshore in the Bahamas. Fish which we called yellowtails would surround the boat and have a feast. Of course that doesn’t prove that the overall effect isn’t harmful.

Amen to that. Have docked in Yokohama 3 or 4 times in the span of a decade and each time our slip is covered in a blanket of floating plastic. After 5 day port call many strainers must be cleaned before departure.

Authorities aboard and around during the stay just shrug. I just walk around a bit in Yokohama but the streets looked no better or worse than many US or other nations. Maybe my sample is too small but that harbor is full of trash specifically plastic.

2 Likes

Nitrogen is not a fish killer, at least not directly.
Smaller and shallow lakes, surrounded by agriculture land, may receive high doses of excess Nitrogen fertilizer.

Then, an extreme growth of algae starts; their decomposition consumes all solved oxygen in the water. The lake becomes a dead one, without fish or other animals.

Enclosed parts of seas may have the same problem; the Black Sea, below about 80 meters is completely dead.

Agricultural runoff also has a negative effect on coral reefs. Most noted on the Great Barrier Reef off Queensland, Au.
What was dumped from the yacht that carried Greta to NYC was “a piss in the Atlantic ocean”. (Literally)

Tokyo Bay was very polluted, but a lot has been done to stop the industrial pollution in the last decades.

Plastic pollution is another major problem, especially in Tokyo Bay and other semi-enclosed waters. The effort to clean it up is afoot though:

Where the Olympic 2020 ocean swimming competition will be held excessive bacteria has been found In the water, causing some concern:

With the normal Japanese efficiency, expect this to be addressed and resolved, or alternative location found, by the time the Olympic Games open on 24. July 2020.

All together I’ve probably spent about 3 weeks of my life in Singapore & only recall seeing liter once & I felt compelled to pick it up & throw it in the trash. The current around the island constantly had a flow of debris in it. I’ve only flown into Japan & the places I visited were spotless, I didn’t see the waterfront up close but I suspect it’s similar to most other places in Asia, a cesspool.

I don’t see this girl & her family as heroes or changing the world as she is being portrayed by the media & by ombugge. I have more respect for my local high school groups that will go on liter pick up competitions or for juniors park rangers programs that require a bag of liter to join. Telling a bunch of Swedes to be more environmentally friendly is a joke. The same with telling the UN General Assembly. The UN is the group that tells everyone else to clean up all the time, talking to them is pointless. If this girl goes tell people who needs to hear it to clean up then I’ll say she is making a difference. Right now she’s just a B-Rated celebrity IMO.

A dubious benefit being the conservation of sunken wrecks. I know fertilizer run off is probably the biggest life killer when it reaches water and is responsible for the dead zone spreading from the mouth of the Mississippi. Certain areas such as the Baltic have special MARPOL rules regarding dumping of raw sewage. We dump a lot of crap, oil, dunnage, etc and expect the oceans to make it disappear but there has to be a limit. Overpopulation takes its toll.

Fertilzer run off is a major factor and so is the Mississippi being used for a sewer outlet for cities all along its banks. Sewage is treated but the treatment required for effluent is on a sliding scale. Bigger cities get a break. The population has been getting bigger for a long time and it is not a given that increasing population means you have to put up with crap. Since the 1960s the USA population has increased greatly but the water quality has actually improved. Regulation made it more expensive to pollute and not treat waste than to treat and pollute less. Regulation is fought tooth and nail by industry and even citizens. Industry because it affects their bonuses and citizens because they just don’t like being told what to do. I get that, I hated seat belts when I was in my teens and twenty’s and resented being told it was a good idea to wear one even after I broke a windshield with my hard head I resented it. I figured I had a God given right to be thrown thru a windshield. They passed a law making wearing one mandatory, I still didn’t care. Then I got a $100 ticket for not wearing a seat belt when I was making $3.50 an hour…twice. I wear a seat belt now and it is second nature. I even insist my grandkids are buckled up even though they would not make a big hole in my windshield.

Page 3, alas, is not what it once was.

No such thing as carbon free! How much carbon was generated in the manfacture of the boat and all the food, electronics, hardware, bits & pieces that went with it. What about untreated body waste dumped into the ocean by her & the crew? What about the support crew that will fly across the ocean to take the boat back to Europe? Would had generated much less carbon (and much less piblicity) to simply fly to NYC by herself.

1 Like

It was done the way it was precisely to draw publicity.

1 Like

Fully agree!
Pls keep in mind that this yacht carried a crew.
They will return to Europe by PLANE, while the new crew
will fly to NY to sail the boat home…
How about thàt carbon footprint?

1 Like