Saint Greta

IIRC a reliable source for publishing once a week a photo of a run of the mill pasty complexioned secretary willing to pose in questionable attire.

2 Likes

a modern sailing boat has a very bad plastic footprint, all that rope, plastic in the sails thats gets thrown away every other season or each season on a race boat not the mention the plastic hull…
It couldnt exist without oil…
Nothing gets recycled, just land fill
A jumbo jet gets melted down and reused

She needs to be in a wooden boat with hemp sails and rope and no antifoul

2 Likes

Yankee…

It’s page 3 you are looking for :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Not good enough. The trees used to build the boat has to be cut down by hand saw, transported to a water wheel driven sawmill by horses (no that doesn’t work, they fart) and on by sail barges to the building yard.

Hemp sails, do (did) those exist? Wool was used by the Vikings.

BTW; more and more of an air plane is made from composite material today, as is nearly anything else.

She is doing her best. Nobody is perfect.

2 Likes

A reduction of emissions is going to require more then the actions of individuals. A discussion of the emission of a single person is meaningless.

In theory individuals reducing fossil fuel use will result in decrease in price which will cause others to consume more. Obviously no meaningful price change but that’s because the reduction is meaningless to begin with.

Too bad these tree huggers weren’t members of the gcaptain forum back in '15. They would have stumbled across the thread below & had a way to get across the Atlantic without a carbon footprint just as their Nordic ancestors did it.

I stand corrected. Page 2 has the erectile dysfunction drug adds, correct? :smiley:

1 Like

yes, your right there
Hemp sails, yes may not exist as it would take some very modern machinery.
Wool sails, I didnt know that, I thought they were cotton in the old days with whale/seal oil on them?

Cotton don’t grow very well in a West Norwegian climate, even in the warmer period that existed in part of the Viking era. (From the late 8th to late 11th centuries)
I don’t know what the early Phoenician sailors used for sails, but the Egyptians used reed sails on their reed boats:
Thor Heyerdahl wisely used a more modern material for the sail on the Ra:

They use a bucket.

So throwing untreated human excrement into the ocean is going to be positive for the environment?

It is generally considered that on the high seas, the oceans are capable of assimilating and dealing with raw sewage through natural bacterial action. Therefore, the regulations in Annex IV of MARPOL generally allow the discharge of sewage into the sea 12 miles out from land unless otherwise provided.

3 Likes

Get real!!

How much can a puny little girl manage to pollute on a voyage across the Atlantic Ocean?

If you can’t find anything else to complain about in today’s world I feel sorry for you.
Look at what you have contributed to polluting the world in the last 10-12 days and then complain to the one in the mirror every morning.

she caused a 100 people to fly in in their private jets to hear her speak…

1 Like

This is very much the same as when some young people organised rallies after their school mates where killed by a deranged gunman in Florida; They must have been coached by grown ups. Maybe even actors that played “fake” students. No way some 17 year old kids could organise a march on the White House without being manipulated by somebody for political reasons etc. etc.

The same with this 16 year old girl who have done something amazing. She has engaged the very young and waken up some older people to the maybe most pressing problem of the day. If that include some of those who can afford to fly in private jets, so much the better.

There is nothing easier than to find something wrong with everything. To come up with a solution is a lot more difficult.
I don’t say that she have solved the problem of global warming, but she has done a hell of lot more than you and I. All hail to her for that.

if you think there is global warming and if you think it is caused by humans??

1 Like

soil loves the nitrogen, the sea life is killed by it

1 Like

I don’t know anything about Singapore but Japanese streets are clean because they toss their trash in the rivers and sea.

I used to go to Sendai and the beach near the port looked like a city dump.

Just pointing out a falacy to the claim of not impacting the environment. And just to be “real” for you, it’s not just her, it’s her family and the crew. Probably benign on their own, but once everyone starts doing it… Let’s not forget the boat crew that is flying back home. Plain and simple, it was all a big publicity stunt.

No need to feel sorry for me. I don’t give a damn what you think. As far as the guy in the mirror, I’m quite happy not to be the crotchety old man that I am responding to.

This is very much the same as when some young people organised rallies after their school mates where killed by a deranged gunman in Florida; They must have been coached by grown ups. Maybe even actors that played “fake” students. No way some 17 year old kids could organise a march on the White House without being manipulated by somebody for political reasons etc. etc.

You are 100% correct on this!

I didn’t see that claim being made. Do you have a link?