Sail vs. Auxilary Sail Endorsement

I hear there’s a training ship with freshly painted bulkheads.

My first license (many years ago) was apparently Auxiliary Sail only. I only found this out when I went to get an upgrade and they wouldn’t count the time I sailed with that license because you had to have Motor or Steam (now self-propelled) on the license. I had no idea as i was running six pac power boats under the license for the first issue. When I renewed, they gave me a 50 ton and Motor, Steam and Aux Sail. So I’m gonna say that no, there isn’t a sail only license or they probably would have given me that as most of my sea time for that first license was sail only boats and a some small motor boats. I still have a Aux Sail endorsement on my license, but only up to 100 GRT on my 1600 GRT Self Propelled.

1 Like

Skipjacks are rather unique in having the “remote controlled” pushboats. By law only sailboats can dredge oysters in Maryland and this makes it easy to see if they are trying to cheat. I think recently they have got one “power” day to dredge (or drudge in Shore-ese). AFAIK they are the last working sail in the USA that are not tourist/charter boats.
They were also famous for sometimes Shanghaiing their crews back in the day because no one wanted to spend all winter sailing back and forth and never going ashore. They never went ashore because the crews would escape.

I will never forget getting my first “sail” endorsement at REC Boston. I argued with the head of the REC that I wanted that endorsement just to cover my butt if anyone ever questioned my qualifications. My sea time demonstrated that I had the requisite time and tonnage for such an endorsement. He asked me why I needed it because as far as he knew there was no such vessel in existence as a non self-propelled sailing vessel. I assured him that here were nine such vessels along the Maine coast. He grudgingly gave me the endorsement. Several years later he became OCMI Portland where he found himself headlong into inspecting these 9 wooden non-self propelled vessels. For the past 27 years I have been sailing one of these vessels. Also been an officer aboard the barque Elissa. One of my fellow captains put it best when confronted by someone teaching an STCW class. The instructor heard what he does on a regular basis and said “you can’t do that. That isn’t safe.” My friend replied (I am paraphrasing)…“Actually, sir, I am licensed to do that and indeed do it quite safely all the time. You, sir, are the one who can’t do that.” Operating a non-self propelled vessel does take some forethought and planning, especially in the thick fog here along the Maine coast.

NMC has forgotten us again. The last few issues of my ticket only mention aux. sail. Thankfully the local MSD where our inspectors originate have come to appreciate and understand how these boats, (many are National Historic Landmarks) never quite fit into the regs. We are proud of these “mom and pop” operations that pay their own way. None of these vessels receive public assistance or grant funding to keep going. The very first cruise from Maine Maritime Academy (1941) was done in one of these vessels which is still sailing, healthy as can be. If you haven’t been downeast you should come check out these boats.

6 Likes