Route Endorsements

seeking some clarification…if your MMC has the “oceans” endorsement then the near coastal, inland, great lakes are “inclusive”…the exception is western rivers which is a “seperate” endorsement…so if you have both oceans and western rivers that pretty much cover “it”…is this correct??

Mine says Oceans and Western Rivers, and I’ve always assumed that that covers just about everything except VFR and IFR.

Doug,

this is in regards to my DE letter for TOAR program…I have MOTV oceans/western rivers…have been a DE since the inception of the TOAR program…the new approval letter has accessment routes oceans/near coastal/inland/great lakes referenced but no western rivers which I previously had…never worked on the great lakes though…go figure??

[QUOTE=seadawg;22820]seeking some clarification…if your MMC has the “oceans” endorsement then the near coastal, inland, great lakes are “inclusive”…the exception is western rivers which is a “seperate” endorsement…so if you have both oceans and western rivers that pretty much cover “it”…is this correct??[/QUOTE]

Good question, but that must be the case. I have MOTV for Oceans and Western Rivers, also. Before I got my unlimited license, I had 500 Master NC and 1600 Master Great Lakes. When I upgraded to 1600 Oceans, the Great Lakes endorsement disappeared. And that was the Toledo REC. So I must assume Great Lakes is covered in the Oceans endorsement. Of course, you know what can happen with assumptions…

[quote=seadawg;22834]Doug,

this is in regards to my DE letter for TOAR program…I have MOTV oceans/western rivers…have been a DE since the inception of the TOAR program…the new approval letter has accessment routes oceans/near coastal/inland/great lakes but no western rivers which I previously had…never worked on the great lakes though…go figure??[/quote]

I have my DE letter at home (I’m at PMI at the moment) and I’m going to dig it out and take a peek. I seem to recall I have some Western Rivers TOARs on my list of approvals. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if they yank those when I renew my DE in a couple of years.

[I][quote=dougpine;22852]I have my DE letter at home (I’m at PMI at the moment) and I’m going to dig it out and take a peek. I seem to recall I have some Western Rivers TOARs on my list of approvals. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if they yank those when I renew my DE in a couple of years.[/quote][/I]

At a minimum, you have approval for the tasks that are “common elements” – they are identic al on the TOARs for all routes. Note that the NMC is no longer using the old form of approval letter where you were checked off for each task in the TOAR, after over 5 years the number of DEs who were not approved for some tasks in a TOAR was so small that they went to a simpler, less confusing approval letter, it just states which routes you can sing the TOAR for (along with any common elements in other TOARs). Sounds like you have one of the oldfder approval letters.

When approving DEs, the NMC looks for more than just holding a license for a specific route, they need to see [U]substantial[/U] experience on the route.