Ritalin, Adderall, ADD, etc

Great Post Tugs,

What you describe with your friend however is more consistant with high function autism or asbergers syndrome than ADD. These are very different mental health issues.

ADD is more a problem with mental focus. Think of Ritilan as a set of eye glasses to help restore focus.

That’s the best way I’ve ever heard to describe what it does. It’s true.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;111019]And don’t use it while on board…[/QUOTE]

If that is an issue, it will be specifically noted on the medical waiver that accompanies the MMC. If the waiver does not specify usage restrictions such as not using on board or within a specified amount of time before watch/duty, it can be used as prescribed.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;111111]Great Post Tugs,

What you describe with your friend however is more consistant with high function autism or asbergers syndrome than ADD. These are very different mental health issues.

ADD is more a problem with mental focus. Think of Ritilan as a set of eye glasses to help restore focus.[/QUOTE]

What my AE had was a very bad case of PTSD. After hearing some of what he witnessed and went through (the small amount that he shared was enough to me understand why he needed the help) I came to understand that he was living with a lot of devils. One time we had a new Green OS come aboard and all that he talked about was being a Medic in the Navy. He kept getting is my AE’s face about how they shared a lot. Both the Captain and Me (CE) tried to explain to this kid that it would be a good thing if he just dropped trying to “Bond” with the AE before he got his ass kicked. Now this Kid must of had a death wish because he drove almost the entire crew to the point of no return. Looking back on it maybe this kid needed to be on something. We all used to tell him that either he needed to either stop taking drugs or start.

I shared this story for two contradicting reasons. One, that this man needed drugs to help him, which they did and he was Great at his Job and Two how dangerous it can be to have someone onboard that runs out of his medication and starts acting strange.

My problem is not the fact that someone has a need for a prescribed medication but what happens if…

Is it fair that someone might be disqualified for this reason, Maybe no, but there are a lot of other reasons to be disqualified also. Not every Job Fits Everyone.

Totally in the same boat. You said exactly what I have going on. I had two minor incidents which could’ve been prevented with a little more focus on my part.