Resume suggestions

Hey everyone,
I’m currently refreshing my resume to apply for jobs in the GOM. I’ve never worked in the GOM before, I’m a 3rd mate with full DP cert. Does anyone have any suggestions/tips for elements I should include on my resume to get hired by companies? Any suggestions for GOM companies at all?

Thanks

A resume is nice, but most GoM companies won’t even look at it. Show up in person and they either need you or they don’t. There might be a few exceptions, but generally, don’t bother with the resume.

Search resumes on here. I had mines professionally done by Kim. Went down to the GoM last year and handed them out. Never got a job I wanted then. This year I got two call backs from HR saying they’re looking over my resume and wanted me to come in. It’s hit or miss I guess.

I got the job I have now by knocking on doors.

[QUOTE=bt3579;136605]Hey everyone,
I’m currently refreshing my resume to apply for jobs in the GOM. I’ve never worked in the GOM before, I’m a 3rd mate with full DP cert. Does anyone have any suggestions/tips for elements I should include on my resume to get hired by companies? Any suggestions for GOM companies at all?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Have a professional prepare a good resume and cover letter for you. Send them out, and had them out as you knock on doors.

With an unlimited license and DP unlimited, the good company paid headhunters like Core Group, Faststream, Flagship, and other will want to work with you. Same with the temp outfits like Oceanwide and C-MAR.

good info thanks

Clearly indicate position applied for in a short cover letter.

Use an agreeable font in black ink on white paper. Never a cursive or script font.

Be neat, concise and make no spelling mistakes.

Indicate clearly all your licenses, certificates including date of issue / expiry / validity, including driver’s license.

Indicate maritime and other relevant training

If your history shows you changed employers every two or three months, don’t bother to apply.

Indicate what maritime tasks / challenges / equipment you have mastered or are experienced with

Indicate the range of vessels you have sailed on. Do not write a book about this. If you get to next stage, you will be asked.

Keep it to a single page for any position below C/M - 1 AE. For higher positions, add a page if you need to add a list of vessels.

Where an HR office is involved, someone will look at all these things and refer to a checklist specific to the position before it even gets to a decision maker.

==========

If you send a photo, make sure it shows you well groomed, dressed neatly, clean and in a non-distracting professional or very neutral setting. Have a photographer take the photo if need be. We’ve had people apply that sent photos that looked like they were unshaven bums. Not bearded, we mean unwashed. Might be the most qualified guy in reality, but the first impression is along the lines of, "[I]Oh yeah, sure. We’ll give that guy a whack at our equipment and running a department… "[/I]

All good advice.

Generally, in the US it is not customary to include a photograph. The good grooming part would apply to any face to face interaction, of course!