Report: Sad accident while mooring a tug at Hamburg Port

While mooring the tug on a floating pier a deckhand of the harbor tug lost his lower leg above the foot; on January 4, 2022.

Investigation report of the German Federal Bureau of Maritime Casualty Investigation (English) >>>

The Reconstruction pic says it all, the first thing we were warned about when when I was doing my deckies.
Terrible accident with sad consequences hope he recovers as best he can.

Indeed it is basic knowledge as many other things in live.
As a small child, I learned not to put my fingers or something into an electrical socket, but…

This report was the first serious reconstruction I have seen about these sad mooring accidents.

Yup, that’ll do it.

This type of accident might not be a simple as they appear. Don’t have a link but I recall an article about viewing CCTV footage of mooring ops. There are often unsafe acts that don’t result in injuries recorded.

Here’s the results of a quick google search

In the maritime industry, despite the considerable amount of research that has been conducted on unsafe behaviors, the focus is primarily on error-producing conditions for unsafe acts and prediction. One limitation of focusing primarily on error-producing conditions and prediction is that it may not be effective in addressing more complex or dynamic safety issues. In some cases, the factors that contribute to accidents and incidents may be difficult to predict or may involve a combination of individual, organizational, and systemic factors that are difficult to identify and address.

A moment of inattention, and in the blink of an eye…

That, or attention on the wrong thing at the wrong time. All kinds of shit can happen on deck. I’ve had a powerful tractor tug pull us off the dock at full power while we still had lines on the bollards.

The casualty had, regrettably, laced his shoe so tightly that he could not pull his foot out of it.

This jumped out to me because when I’m shipboard or in the yards, I’ve usually got on steel toes paired with ankle braces, laced as tight as possible. The effect is close to a hinged walking cast. I’m not working around mooring lines, thank God, but there’s a lot of crap going on in a yard period. One more thing to think about, aside from avoiding in deck scuttles/vertical ladders. (The Navy design is not a good fit for 5’6". It’s a stretch, literally)