A Mooring Accident to Learn from

Nautical

Well, clearly those lines are old and shit, because they shouldn’t part under strain of the winch. That’s literally what the winch is designed for.

Also hope the guy is alive, but it doesn’t look great from that view.

2 Likes

Line doesn’t part, it just hangs up on the guide on the pedestal fairlead and jumps off after building enough tension. There’s a few longer videos that show all three guys somewhat standing on the other side of the winch after all is said and done.

3 Likes

Never turn your back to a line-of-fire energy source, period.

1 Like

Did that guy who got the full brunt survive?

Here is another horrible one I saw on facebook, hopefully these guys survived too.

https://www.facebook.com/Gabriel.Eng.IND/posts/3740668352708569

1 Like

It is hard to tell if the sailor survived the blow. The velocity with which the rope struct him tells me that it will be a very long road to a full recovery, if at all.

The operator’s station shouldn’t be in the snap-back zone.

5 Likes

Yeah, I was wondering about that; could that possibly be as designed? I thought it was common knowledge that you don’t stand in the bight, ever, for any reason. I’m having a tough time imagining a design flaw like that making it to the field.

Looked entirely non-survivable to me.

1 Like

Does anyone know what ship this was on? Any more details about the incident?

It looked like the guy who got hit was operating the winch for another mooring rope it might not have been him recovering the rope that hit him, more advanced vessels have remote control mooring winches, they don’t need people to locally operate mooring winches which may put them in harms way.

From the clock at the top left of the screen it was only a few seconds from when the mooring rope got snagged until it released with huge force, the person on the right saw what was happening and ducked behind the mooring winch, he probably didn’t have time to stop the job or warn the guy who was standing in the line of fire.

1 Like

I am not sure what I just saw. Unless the line that goes left to right across the screen goes around a few 90 degree bends, it doesn’t look like the winch operator is winding in the same line that broke?
Also that railing around his position look like it keeps the operator from falling over in rough weather, it isn’t even close to enough to keep the snapped dock line from whacking him.

The mooring line reels should be all the way fwd (aft on fwd mooring station) so there is nothing behind the operator except a bulkhead. The line should feed in at the bottom of the reel when heaving so if it does snap-back it blocked by the reel itself and all the associated machinery.

The operator should be in a position where he can easily see the equipment he is operating, the line and the person in charge of the operation.

1 Like

Man that’s nasty. Respect the power of the shit we do people. When I was drilling they’d show clips of things that fell or let go on the drill floor. Scary stuff.

That’s precisely why I keep non-essential personnel clear, do one line at a time and watch where the eye is and what is around it as it comes up… and keep it SLOW when it’s on deck. Had a Bosun who loved to hammer it into full gear on multiple lines at a time, one of them obscured from his vision and mine when departing the dock…

That’s a gnarly article, but it doesn’t seem to jive with what the video shows. The article says the accident happened when a line parted due to vessel motion, the video looks like the line got snagged on something while entirely on the ship.

1 Like

This is not the problem… The mooring stations area are place very dangerous… Stay safe… Open your eyes!!

Yes these are different incidents, the video is not from the MT Matrix Pride, although that incident was also gruesome.

I think it was the Victoria 10000 where the quill shaft separated in the top drive (HPS 1000), losing the entire riser string. Personnel were in the moon pool at the time stabbing goose necks. How nobody got killed is pure luck. That certainly is scary, when you cannot see or identify potential failures. That’s tantamount to the roof of your house failing while you’re inside with no notice and you just happen to make it.

We manage similarly. Areas are barricaded for mooring operations, and many other tasks. To be within a barricaded area, you must have been part of the risk assessment and assigned a role and responsibility. One of the life rules, if you are in a barricaded area and not part of the task, you just signed your resignation - no questions asked.