Renewing a tankerman endorsement off an OSV

I did a search and didn’t see anything pop up out there so here it goes. I currently have an endorsement on my license for Advanced Oil Tanker Cargo Operation and Advanced Chemical Tanker Cargo Operation. Now if I document consecutive loads and discharges, commencement and finishes putting diesel into our cargo tanks to be pumped to another vessel and have my chief engineer sign off on it would that be usable to meet current coast guard criteria or not?

Yes, oil based mud and cargo fuel would be good. I believe there’s a discussion about it already that quotes the CFR. It can’t be fuel loaded for ship’s fuel, but rig fuel does count.

Didn’t it come up here recently it only counted if the COI required a tankerman? Not sure either way but that discussion comes to mind.

[QUOTE=z-drive;154904]Didn’t it come up here recently it only counted if the COI required a tankerman? Not sure either way but that discussion comes to mind.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure that’s correct. My Tankerman PIC wasn’t renewed when I first came to the Gulf, even with the loads and discharges letter, but that was some time ago and the reg may have changed in 10 years.

[QUOTE=z-drive;154904]Didn’t it come up here recently it only counted if the COI required a tankerman? Not sure either way but that discussion comes to mind.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Tankermen endorsements require service and tranbsfers on tank vessels. The time and transfers are only crediatable for an original or renewal of a tankerman endorsement if the vessel required tankermen for the specific service or product transferred. Otherwise, it’s not considered a tank vessel (tank vessels require tankermen).

[QUOTE=jbtam99;154906]Pretty sure that’s correct. My Tankerman PIC wasn’t renewed when I first came to the Gulf, even with the loads and discharges letter, but that was some time ago and the reg may have changed in 10 years.[/QUOTE]

The only change to national (domestic) tankermen endorsements was to amend MMC renewal requirements to allow shore-based barghe tankermen to reenw that endorsement without “sea service.” Becausde they are not assigned to the barge and only transfer cargo while the vessel is docked, they don’t have sea service. The chnage allows them to renew a tankerman endorsaement wiothout sea service, just transfers. Nothng changed relevant to renewals for other tankermen.

[QUOTE=jbtam99;154906]Pretty sure that’s correct. My Tankerman PIC wasn’t renewed when I first came to the Gulf, even with the loads and discharges letter, but that was some time ago and the reg may have changed in 10 years.[/QUOTE]

The only change to national (domestic) tankermen endorsements was to amend MMC renewal requirements to allow shore-based barghe tankermen to reenw that endorsement without “sea service.” Becausde they are not assigned to the barge and only transfer cargo while the vessel is docked, they don’t have sea service. The chnage allows them to renew a tankerman endorsaement wiothout sea service, just transfers. Nothng changed relevant to renewals for other tankermen.

On my vessel it’s labeled and considered “cargo fuel.” But you have to love the NMC, everyone is under the same roof yet continue to give different answers. I put my PIC on the shelf because I didn’t need it on an OSV and was told none of the transfers wound count so I didn’t log it. My evaluator told me it would count if the mud was oil based or if it was cargo fuel. All I can say it log it, try to renew it and see what happens.