Reinauer and McCallister stacking boats?

Heard through the grapevine that RTC and McCallister just stacked some units. Does anybody have a line on this info?

I heard the crude oil from North Dakota slowed down alot. They had a few atbs doing that run.

The 120 and 502 that the Justine and Christine Mcallister had been moving had been on the chopping block for a long time. Over 40 years old, the clients and the market finally said no more. The marjorie is off charter from RTC as well. Barge work for Mcallister has slowed down drastically for other clients as well. Kirby’s clients said no more boats older than 30 years, which leaves only the Patrice to move their barges for Mac in NY.

Also I’ve been told the Jason and the Stephen Scott are stacked at the staten island yard.

yes the crude slowdown allowed them to put the newer equipment on those 502/120 runs, for global IIRC. I think the twins and dean soaked some of that up.

The Dylan cooper went to the lakes, but is back, maybe they’ll be back up there. They should be launching the Gracie soon, the AIS was on at Senesco the other day. From what I hear The good news is there’s probably a balance of jobs/bodies with new equipment and usual attrition. Jason will probably stay stacked and used when needed. They allegedly voted to a one year contract extension with some avoid any layoff understanding and the continued new build program—just what I hear around the grapevine so I can’t guarantee its all %100 accurate. I’m surprised the Stephen Scott is stacked, that was a good assist boat with 4,000.

The Barry Silverton on the other hand seems to have left a path of destruction around the northeast and can’t possibly be making any money for Harley. Time to pack it in.

That’s the ATB that hit the independence in the CC Canal?

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;186894]The 120 and 502 that the Justine and Christine Mcallister had been moving had been on the chopping block for a long time. Over 40 years old, the clients and the market finally said no more. The marjorie is off charter from RTC as well. Barge work for Mcallister has slowed down drastically for other clients as well. Kirby’s clients said no more boats older than 30 years, which leaves only the Patrice to move their barges for Mac in NY.[/QUOTE]

Say adios to the SEA RAVEN (xSEA SKIMMER) then. . . . not sure if I would shed a tear. . . .

[QUOTE=fishyluke;186900]That’s the ATB that hit the independence in the CC Canal?[/QUOTE]
According to VHF chatter… They have had some other issues, but I can’t possibly be the only one who sees/hears things. Nobody else around the harbor on here nowadays?

Whats up with Bouchard, is the 220 down south getting pinned? The boys/light look much better with the 60 class barges. I’m surprised they have kept the evening star on port jeff express this long when they could utlize an ATB on prov, boston, portland runs.

I agree. There seems to be very few NE tug guys on here. I’m down south on an ATB. I try to stay invisible at my company. However, I’ll totally chat with a passing tug in the gulf. The southern boats from NE companies don’t talk to each other like NY tug boats. It’s like pulling teeth to get any info. I enjoy a little scuttlebutt as much as the next guy. Things at Bouchard are what everyone expects them to be…lol
They’ll never be able to outrun their reputation.

I started the thread in hopes of getting some chatter going for us tug guys and gals. Clearly we are still the minority here on gCaptain along with deep sea people.

1 Like

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;186894]The 120 and 502 that the Justine and Christine Mcallister had been moving had been on the chopping block for a long time. Over 40 years old, the clients and the market finally said no more. The marjorie is off charter from RTC as well. Barge work for Mcallister has slowed down drastically for other clients as well. Kirby’s clients said no more boats older than 30 years, which leaves only the Patrice to move their barges for Mac in NY.[/QUOTE]
Well, that would explain the Christine and Justine at Mac’s repair facility. Been a month or possibly more.
Also seeing the Girls and Barbara tied up too.

So…only a few barge captains left on the 20 and 60 barges? Nearly the end of an era.

Kirby just bought a few newish rigs from Crosby

[QUOTE=z-drive;186910]According to VHF chatter… They have had some other issues, but I can’t possibly be the only one who sees/hears things. Nobody else around the harbor on here nowadays?

Whats up with Bouchard, is the 220 down south getting pinned? The boys/light look much better with the 60 class barges. I’m surprised they have kept the evening star on port jeff express this long when they could utlize an ATB on prov, boston, portland runs.[/QUOTE]

The 220 is getting pinned, same as the 210 which the new Morton Jr. has. The Barbara Mcallister came off contract and got stacked shortly after the Morton picked up the 210. The Boys came off of her and got the 260. The only wire barge Bouchard doesn’t have a boat to move is one of the 30 series, essentially whichever one the Screamin’ Mist doesn’t have.
The Star and its barge was built specifically for the inside berth at Northville in Port Jeff, its the only one that can drive in bow first. Everything else you need to break down in the harbor and put in stern first.

The Christine and Justine crews have been moved around, the Resolute just started making an appearance again after a couple months the last few days. The Girls hasn’t stayed constantly crewed or working for a while, its a massive heap of shit anyway.

I’m surprised the stephen scott was stacked over say the franklin, but thats above my pay grade.

That Barry Slamherlow is a near menace around the harbor, of course harley’s biggest gem the Andrea with its straight out of Bayou Laflush crew needs to get it over with a do a dead whale impression on the bow of a ship. They have zero clue where they are and can’t even be bothered to pay attention to other people on the radio to learn how to pronounce locations or where stuff is. I keep having flashbacks to my supply boat time when I hear them on the radio.

From what i hear the stephen-scott was falling apart and they didnt want to fix it. Heard they were looking for a replacement but its all hearsay.

where do you find those forsale listing ?

If I got run down by a barge while at the dock I don’t think I could ever work on a tug again. My livelihood $hattered. Law$uit would be in order.

Why does Harley advertise for the same 4-5 jobs constantly? I think the pieces of the puzzle are coming together now in my mind. Whenever I’ve run into the Brooklyn it seems like an equal cluster fuck, like a Benny hill or three stooges video watching them make up. Do they keep firing people, or do they quit? Or just not hire anyone?

I seldom get back up in NYH or the Northeast anymore. But it’s been going downhill skills and local knowledge-wise for years.

About 5-6 years ago I was dumbfounded to witness a Dann Ocean tug come off a ship at Howland Hook Terminal with a bunker barge alongside, then let it go right there to re-make on the other side. This was with a strong ebb running, pulling them down towards the closed AKRR. They managed to grab it by the time they got set down to Federal E’port, but it was a dumb stunt. Needless to say, they made no security calls to warn anyone beforehand.

Stupid is as stupid does.

You have to watch the norfolk towing guys try to move around stone scows. They are horrible!! They have no clue how to do the work, not to mention there deckhands putting left hand turns on the bitts. Its a shame there doing the buchanan work, buchanan is a great place to learn some skills. Most of those rebel boats do the dumbest shit, dont know how they still get work. Must be the price i guess. But u get what u pay for…

[QUOTE=z-drive;186947]If I got run down by a barge while at the dock I don’t think I could ever work on a tug again. My livelihood $hattered. Law$uit would be in order.

Why does Harley advertise for the same 4-5 jobs constantly? I think the pieces of the puzzle are coming together now in my mind. Whenever I’ve run into the Brooklyn it seems like an equal cluster fuck, like a Benny hill or three stooges video watching them make up. Do they keep firing people, or do they quit? Or just not hire anyone?[/QUOTE]
I’ve applied to Harley before, and recently as well. I finally got a response this recent time, and they said, I quote, “although your resume and credentials are impressive, we decided to go with another candidate.”

1 Like

Norfolk Tug and Buchanan are owned by the same parent company. The NT guys get paid less and NT has more available boats.