"Ramming speed"

I did a stint with sup as pumpman, I was young & naive when told the tanker had a pool on deck. Of course never filled & fuel never spent on heating! & how many engineers can swim?

On one Bulker that was converted to drillship in the 1970s there was fully equipped Gym, with a small Swimming Pool and a Sauna.
This was never touched during the convention.

When the first Toolpusher (AKA God at the time) came on board he locked it up with the wise words; “Anybody who put in a decent 12 hrs work don’t need non of that”

There are still ships with “Ram Bow”: (AKA Bulbous Bow)
This one even have the name to prove it.

1 Like

yea, despite my youth i prob didn’t have much time to go swimming … sheesh!!, but you know… ‘visions of sitting by the pool watching the ocean go by’ (like a cruise ship or something) gawd, i prob thot i’d have a beer in my hand too!

On the old tankers we had a pool forward of the funnel and we had beer but… every one of us smoked then so we hardly used it.

…for fear of contaminating the clean air coming out of the funnel ?

2 Likes

Nice one. Before I gave up smoking more than 45 years ago I couldn’t imagine having a beer in my hand without a cigarette and I wasn’t the only one. The bar was officially called the smoke room.
I started smoking in the Armed Forces when tobacco was issued at next to nothing cost in lieu of food.

2 Likes

ok hogsnort, , i ddin’t really start drinking (beer only) till about 2008 and gave up EVERYTHING else … yes , the day of having a beer, or anything else without a beer was unthinkable even then. one day after 9 days without a smoke my buddy says … “lets go up on deck and have a smoke … " one ain’t gonna kill you “””
ha ha ha … well, several years later in SW asia war zone i quit after figuring 5 days without would be enough… and on 10 dec. 2007 with 6 mos. left in that shit hole i finally quit. … now i figure if i make it to around 90 i can start all over again but … … well, i’m not sure how to handle that eventuality.

1 Like