"Ramming speed"

Considering the result of the Ehime Maru and USS Greeneville collision, I’d imagine a modern submarine would probably take a whole lot more damage to sink by ramming than back then.

sea eagle; the greek prob were the first to perfect “ramming speed” but it was generally a trimerene that did the job, and with larger crew & more expensive ships, still they were vastly outnumbered by the persians (in ships & sailors) and victory usually determined by tactic or weather … the persians had further to travel and not so familiar with the ‘local’ waters.
PS; you’ll seldom if ever see me criticize a post… most all of us are professionals and know when a imposter is trying to 'fake it '.

Speaking of icebreakers and ramming, here’s a good example at about 3:18 onwards:

Also:

They did something similar with an Azipod-equipped tanker in the early 1990s to find out how big ice loads they could generate on the azimuthing propulsion unit.

Anyway, typically there are limitations in heavy multi-year ice as well as if there are propellers in the bow of the icebreaker, but in first-year ice and ridges you can usually go all out without risking hull damage.

I would guess that with naval ships “ramming speed” is not (just) about maximizing damage to the target, but (also) catching it in the first place.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Why did I know you would find something cmakin? Gotta pat you on the back sir,

wow, i haven’t seen that movie for 50 yrs … sometimes recalled it. I recently read about life aboard those ships and how they operated, battles with xerxes. I doubt the commander and sr. crew spent much if anytime below deck … it was not a nice environment in so many ways. Kinda how bridge crew never seen in eng. room, ha ha … but that’s ok !!

Yup. That’s the one. There has been a remake as well.

oh gawd, a remake!? with women for the bridge officers i suppose? (in facemasks?)

1 Like

RE: HMS Buffel, A piano? wow, this is ornate by most any standard, I don’t get quite how one removes a book from the library.

It was kind of easy, actually. And, to be honest, the first thing that came to mind when I saw the “Ramming Speed” title. Probably cadence for the galley slaves, other than “Water Skiing Speed”. . . .

1 Like

Normally one end of the stick could be lifted because the wood above it was milled away. Here it should be on the left side which is out of sight. This photo is not detailed enough to see that.

Regarding the piano I sailed with a captain who carried his own organ with him on each ship he sailed on.

The lady officers would have to be aware that there was no dress code in the galley (dad joke).
British warships often carried an “organ, portable,small” for church services. One electrical officer I sailed with could jazz it up to a party mood.

Couldn’t fit a banjo in my galley, let alone a piano or organ. One pushboat way back when, running the ditch had a fishtank. The “chef” and captain maintained it. I was just passing through. Chef and captain were well dressed, chef had one of those Boy-ar-dee hats. I didn’t stay long. Food was good, but not a good fit for me.

There were some tankers, owned by Onassis, I believe, that had a grand piano in the Owner’s Lounge/room. Oh, and regarding the fish tank. . .was it for amusement? I remember surveying a Greek ULCC at the Galveston Lightering Area. For dinner, I had an incredibly fresh grilled fish. I wondered how they could do that. I found out. While I was on the bridge, waiting for the helicopter to come pick me up, I looked down at the pool, and the cook was tossing food into the salt water swimming pool. Seems that they would catch fish while at the lightering area, and at the Cayo Arcas terminal in Mexico and put them in the pool.

Crazy the stuff you see while sailing. I think that was a 45 or 50 gallon freshwater tank on that well maintained ditchboat I worked on back then.

2 Likes

I made a couple of trips on the ex-Portmar at the time named SS Port. She had an upright piano in the lounge. The C.E would often sit down and pound away after lunch. He either played poorly or it needed a tune…possibly a little of both. The ship later became the SS Poet which disappeared crossing the Atlantic.

1 Like

Only time I saw an intentional ramming was at Allied Towing’s yard back in the 70’s. They had creatively turned a barge upside down to make bottom repairs. Couldn’t get it to flip upright. The yard tug “Dan” got a running start and whacked the shit out of it on almost a beam shot. Got her done. The dent did not keep her out of service. Left Allied for greener pastures later on. Crazy the shit I’ve seen over my years. All mostly good how we made it work. Can assure you, never seen a piano on any of the rigs I worked on.

no , i’ve not seen a pianno … well maybe on a cruise i worked once… i missed the fish tank.

Almost all Dutch Shell tankers had a swimming pool behind the chimney aft. It is true that these often were used for preserving caught fishes. In the Caribbean for instance, fishing was usually done with the fish line over the finger. Especially in the evening with the spotlights pointed at the water a lot of fish could be caught. I’ve never seen fishing rods on board. Also unknown species were swimming around happily in the pool including smaller shark species. That became an entire marine aquarium. There was ample food available as the galley was round the corner.

IMG_6393

This one was caught in the Oman Sea, but didnot end in the pool. We were drifting for a couple of hours due to engine repair and in less than half an hour 15 to 20 of these babies were circling the ship…

1 Like

Most surveys I did at the lightering areas involved an overnight stay. A good portion of my time was spent on the stern with the crew tending a line or two. . .

1 Like