R/V Trident

The Trident also will act as an underway terrestrial and electronic navigation lab for TAMUG Maritime Academy Midshipmen so they can practice the skills learned in the classroom in a high-impact learning environment in real time.

Looks like a great addition and should be very helpful for the e-nav and t-nav courses. I don’t see any repeaters fitted to it from the picture, maybe it will be an addon? Any cadets been on her yet?

that is a vessel all new sailors should experience.

• Updated - - -

the one in the background is even a bigger ‘experience’.

Ohhh I bet Scott is touching himself in excitement!!

Do they still have the GYRE?

[QUOTE=cmakin;165940]Do they still have the GYRE?[/QUOTE]

What did it look like? They have a bunch of random boats in the basin.

[QUOTE=Lone_Star;165949]What did it look like? They have a bunch of random boats in the basin.[/QUOTE]

That’s interesting. I never saw her when I was there. I wonder when it left A&M. Can’t seem to find much in the way of history, but seem to remember instructors mentioning the GYRE once or twice. Appears she’s still active flying under the Vanuatu flag, currently around Africa.

[QUOTE=Lone_Star;166022]That’s interesting. I never saw her when I was there. I wonder when it left A&M. Can’t seem to find much in the way of history, but seem to remember instructors mentioning the GYRE once or twice. Appears she’s still active flying under the Vanuatu flag, currently around Africa.

Interesting. I didn’t dig into the research too much as I am a bit busy this week (durn day job). . . at the time she was at TAMUG, the Navy was part owner. I was an ABS Surveyor at the time. It was a steady battle with the scientists who liked to make hull penetrations for their instrumentation without consulting the Rules. . . .I believe that she was still there in late 97 when I left the Bureau, but not sure. Can’t believe that 18 years have passed. . . .