TMA workability

I am an incoming cadet with prominent navy experience. I did just about 5 years in as a SA/SN on deck for 2 1/2 and then an OS for the other 2 1/2. I have pretty much every qualification onboard a DDG in the deck department including radar and navigational quals was wondering with my sea time how much A&M will work with me to classify me as something other than a freshman, or to nix my summer cruises because of my experience. REC has already projected that I am qualified to sit for my unlimited 3M. Any info would be great thanks.

At cal we thank you for your service and tell you I hope your training makes the class easy. I highly doubt you will get a cruise off, they may give you one or two classes off though just depends.

At TMA? About the same likelihood as aviating porcine ungulates…

[QUOTE=mpntexas_deckAPE;149464]I am an incoming cadet with prominent navy experience. I did just about 5 years in as a SA/SN on deck for 2 1/2 and then an OS for the other 2 1/2. I have pretty much every qualification onboard a DDG in the deck department including radar and navigational quals was wondering with my sea time how much A&M will work with me to classify me as something other than a freshman, or to nix my summer cruises because of my experience. REC has already projected that I am qualified to sit for my unlimited 3M. Any info would be great thanks.[/QUOTE]

If you are already “qualified” to sit for Third Mate, there is no point in your going to an academy. Just sit for the license and go get a job.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;149565]If you are already “qualified” to sit for Third Mate, there is no point in your going to an academy. Just sit for the license and go get a job.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Those are such impressive qualifications! I’m surprised the CG doesn’t just issue you a U/L Master Mariner License right now. Gotta go now: I’ve got an appointment back on planet Earth.

Also btw no maritime academy will let you graduate without also getting a Bachelors degree so you have at least two years of general studies classes to get out of the way, minimum, that are unrelated to ship operations. Second, TMA requires 3 years minimum attendance in the marine transportation program before they will grant you a degree and license. Thirdly, your previous sea time is not counted because it was not done as a cadet under the auspices of an USCG approved maritime curriculum, per the CFR’s. Fourthly, neither TMA nor the USCG recognizes anything but USCG approved training courses, and US Navy training courses/experience doesn’t qualify.

Basically, your prior service will get you the privilege of living off campus, rarely ever having to attend regimental meetings, and a free lunch at the student veterans meeting every month. Sucks, but thats all.

[QUOTE=cali deckie;149548]At cal we thank you for your service and tell you I hope your training makes the class easy. I highly doubt you will get a cruise off, they may give you one or two classes off though just depends.[/QUOTE]

This could be one of the trare cases where it wouldf be permitted. Generally, academies cannot waive cruises, the approval of the program requires everyone to go on all of them. The reason is that academy cadets do not qualify with “sea time.” I explained this here.

But, if he has enought time for 3rd Mate, he has enough sea time for the hawsepipe route to OICNW and 3rd Mate, so the academy vtraining might be used to meet the hawsepipe traiuning and assessment requirements. This only works if you have 3 years of creditable sea time, and only if it is approved by the Coast Guard.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;149592]This could be one of the trare cases where it wouldf be permitted. Generally, academies cannot waive cruises, the approval of the program requires everyone to go on all of them. The reason is that academy cadets do not qualify with “sea time.” I explained this here.

But, if he has enought time for 3rd Mate, he has enough sea time for the hawsepipe route to OICNW and 3rd Mate, so the academy vtraining might be used to meet the hawsepipe traiuning and assessment requirements. This only works if you have 3 years of creditable sea time, and only if it is approved by the Coast Guard.[/QUOTE]

how is it possible that one could be told by REC hat they are qualified (approved) to test for UL 3M, but somehow might need more classes? my route of upgrades preceded all this OICNW bologna, so I am stymied how he might need or even want “academy training might be used to meet the hawsepipe training and assessment requirements.”

or is there something missing here, such as an REC told him he has the sea time but still needs classes to be able to sit for exam???

[QUOTE=mpntexas_deckAPE;149464]I am an incoming cadet with prominent navy experience. I did just about 5 years in as a SA/SN on deck for 2 1/2 and then an OS for the other 2 1/2. I have pretty much every qualification onboard a DDG in the deck department including radar and navigational quals was wondering with my sea time how much A&M will work with me to classify me as something other than a freshman, or to nix my summer cruises because of my experience. REC has already projected that I am qualified to sit for my unlimited 3M. Any info would be great thanks.[/QUOTE]

here’s some info:

this is the merchant marine… cargo ships. Not the Navy.

good luck with your PROMINENT navy experience, because the only similarity between the two is that both have vessels that float.

at most, you will be on cargo watch or nav watch with one other guy.

you won’t have 1 guy per radar/arpa, 1 helmsman, 1 lee helmsman, 1 conning officer, 1 quarter master, 1 OOD, 1 jr. OOD, 1 guy answering phones, 1 guy making PA calls and blowing that gay ass silver bosun’s whistle into said PA system every time tradition says he’s supposed to.

As a current 4/c cadet at CMA who used to be a BM3 in the Navy, all I can say is don’t count on ANYTHING being “transferred” or “waved” at the academy. Sucks, but it is the nature of STCW, state schools, and life in general. CFRs do NOT provide for the training cruise being waved for service onboard Naval vessels, unfortunately. That would save me $6,000 this summer. I’ll keep dreaming.
Consider yourself LUCKY for the following three FACTS:
1.) As a student at a maritime academy, you are doing better than 99.99% of your fellow veterans that leave the service.
2…) You will get a little more respect from your teachers and upperclassmen, provided you are not cocky all the time by referencing your service every other sentence. Just wear your ribbons on your shirt and call it a day.
3.) You will be ahead of the game in marlinspike, marine survival, industrial safety, and any other class involving nautical stuff due to your prior work on deck.

Good luck!
Tom