Prospective Student With Questions

I have just finished reading over a few of the TMA threads and have a few questions about the school.

I understand that TMA has recently undergone changes to its regiment and has become more strict about certain things. One of the post I read that TMA did not allow T.V in the dorms. I am pretty sure this is enforced during the normal school week but what about during the weekends or long breaks? The reason I ask this is because I will be stuck on the campus the entire time except for extended breaks such as Christmas. Also the conditions of the dorms is another concern of mine. I have read that they are in excellent shape and even have A/C but I have also read that there are mold problems and bad smells (sulfur smell?). Could anyone elaborate on that part? My last question is about the training ship/summer sea term. What is the condition of the training ship? and how do they execute the sea terms?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and possibly answer. I am hoping to attend KP next year but that has a chance of not working out so I also applied to SUNY and will get a response from them before January 1st. I am assuming SUNY will work out but I don’t think it hurts to have a plan C.

If you are worried about not having a TV at TMA, just wait till you get to SUNY. You will find much more to worry about…

[QUOTE=JasonGreene;89292]If you are worried about not having a TV at TMA, just wait till you get to SUNY. You will find much more to worry about…[/QUOTE]

Well SUNY I can go to a house on the weekend… Well most weekends. But yes I know about SUNY it will be an experience to say the least. TMA is about 1,500 miles away from my home so that is why I ask about the T.V.

TV doesn’t matter much anyway. you can watch pretty much everything on your computer or laptop.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;89301]TV doesn’t matter much anyway. you can watch pretty much everything on your computer or laptop.[/QUOTE]

That is true. I know at SUNY or at least I am pretty sure that you can not have a desktop computer. Is this the same with TMA?

If you are looking for a more relaxed place towards military discipline and more non- reg priviligea go to TMA.

It has changed, but not evenclose to what KP is or the other MMA.

But TMA has a big problem with their training ship.

I heard Texas might start sailing with CMA again next summer. At least that the rumor going around CMA these days.

[QUOTE=JPetru82;89344]I heard Texas might start sailing with CMA again next summer. At least that the rumor going around CMA these days.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, heard that also at least my the time the current freshmen graduate is what one of the mt teachers said.

If you are worried about not having a TV in your room, then KP may not be for you as you state above. The entire 4 years I was there, they were not allowed. Now, I don’t know how it works with computer access these days (it has been a couple of years since I came through KP), but I can bet at least during Plebe year, they will be pretty restrictive in that regard. To be honest, though, if you are intending in having a career at sea and are worried whether or not you can have a TV in your room at school, it may not be the choice that you want. I know at school, TV or not, I didn’t have a whole lot of spare time to watch TV; let alone once I started sailing. Just sayin’.

[QUOTE=cmakin;89440]If you are worried about not having a TV in your room, then KP may not be for you as you state above. The entire 4 years I was there, they were not allowed. Now, I don’t know how it works with computer access these days (it has been a couple of years since I came through KP), but I can bet at least during Plebe year, they will be pretty restrictive in that regard. To be honest, though, if you are intending in having a career at sea and are worried whether or not you can have a TV in your room at school, it may not be the choice that you want. I know at school, TV or not, I didn’t have a whole lot of spare time to watch TV; let alone once I started sailing. Just sayin’.[/QUOTE]

KP I am not worried about because I have family that I can visit throughout the year. The computer situation at KP is as follows. Students are aloud to carry laptops with them around campus. If a student is carrying a laptop in his backpack he does not have to jog to his classes but must hold his hand in the air and make a L with his fingers.

I understand where your opinion is coming from but I think if I was going to TMA I would have some free time on the weekends. I am just considered about what I am going to do with my time when there are breaks or long weekends ect. I line in Kentucky so going home isn’t much of a option.

TMA is about the only Academy I am considering. Get an A&M degree and pay in-state tuition for it…while enjoying some Texas sun on the weekends.

Kings Point is not only insanely difficult to get into, but also extremely regimented. Sorry, but its not worth nearly a decade of the best years of your life just not to pay any up-front tuition, if you ask me.

As for training ships, USMMA is about the only US Maritime academy currently without a training vessel. This is because the Kings Pointer, USMMA’s training vessel, is now docked in Galveston at TMA. Hope that answers that.

As for training ships, USMMA is about the only US Maritime academy currently without a training vessel. This is because the Kings Pointer, USMMA’s training vessel, is now docked in Galveston at TMA. Hope that answers that.

Its to small for all of them to go on such as we do.

Galveston beach. Houston nightlife. Enough said.

[QUOTE=cali deckie;89814]Its to small for all of them to go on such as we do.[/QUOTE]

This is true. But it is a decent size considering it teaches cadets to handle a OSV-like ship I assume.

Well KP has some other ship not sure what it was called but I believe it is only used during the day and never leaves the harbor. I could be wrong on that though.

KP also doesn’t have the need for a very large training vessel because they just send all the cadets in pairs of two on different types of ships owned by different companies. I personally think this is better than what the state schools do because you get paid (very small amount) and I would think you have more hands on opportunities and will gain more knowledge from people who are currently in the field.

Also the free ride to KP isn’t the reason why I am applying to it. But just like everyone else that applies or attends I believe it is a pretty big plus for any family. I have my own personal reasons why I am applying but one I will share is this… Lets say you go to apply for a job that does not have a thing to do with the Maritime industry and you tell your interviewer you graduated from SUNY, TMA, or any other state Maritime college. Well odds are he will not know anything about the school off the top of his head. Now lets say you see that same man but tell him you graduated from USMMA or another service academy, now that will get his attention.

I know some of you may say why would you attend a Maritime school if you don’t want to go into that field. Well I do want to work in the Maritime field. However sometimes things change in an industry and you need a way out and have to change all your life plans around. I personally believe that the degree from KP will help me get that way out better than a state academy.

But back to the topic at hand. I would like to thank you all about the info you put up about the status of the TMA training ship stuff it is much appreciated!

[QUOTE=SouthernBornOhioBurned;89832]This is true. But it is a decent size considering it teaches cadets to handle a OSV-like ship I assume.[/QUOTE] There still wont be enough berthing for all of the students so very few of them will get that experience. I see them using it like we use our T-boats as like a big day training ship, or you would have a January cruise and an April cruise or some sort of thing like that. How many can it sleep… isn’t it less than 100?

[QUOTE=Whiplasher;89857]Well KP has some other ship not sure what it was called but I believe it is only used during the day and never leaves the harbor. I could be wrong on that though.

KP also doesn’t have the need for a very large training vessel because they just send all the cadets in pairs of two on different types of ships owned by different companies. I personally think this is better than what the state schools do because you get paid (very small amount) and I would think you have more hands on opportunities and will gain more knowledge from people who are currently in the field.

Also the free ride to KP isn’t the reason why I am applying to it. But just like everyone else that applies or attends I believe it is a pretty big plus for any family. I have my own personal reasons why I am applying but one I will share is this… Lets say you go to apply for a job that does not have a thing to do with the Maritime industry and you tell your interviewer you graduated from SUNY, TMA, or any other state Maritime college. Well odds are he will not know anything about the school off the top of his head. Now lets say you see that same man but tell him you graduated from USMMA or another service academy, now that will get his attention.

I know some of you may say why would you attend a Maritime school if you don’t want to go into that field. Well I do want to work in the Maritime field. However sometimes things change in an industry and you need a way out and have to change all your life plans around. I personally believe that the degree from KP will help me get that way out better than a state academy.

But back to the topic at hand. I would like to thank you all about the info you put up about the status of the TMA training ship stuff it is much appreciated![/QUOTE]

Maybe if this prospective employer knows anything about Kings Point he will laugh in your face and tell you to fuck off.

[QUOTE=New-mate;90005]Maybe if this prospective employer knows anything about Kings Point he will laugh in your face and tell you to fuck off.[/QUOTE]

Well it is a good thing I guess that the majority of Americans don’t know much about Kings Point. But I am curious what part of it do you not like?

Also have another question. Do the people from TMA have better opportunities than the other schools when it comes to getting a job in the Gulf? Just assume those companies might show up to the job fairs.

[QUOTE=Whiplasher;90021]Well it is a good thing I guess that the majority of Americans don’t know much about Kings Point. But I am curious what part of it do you not like?

Also have another question. Do the people from TMA have better opportunities than the other schools when it comes to getting a job in the Gulf? Just assume those companies might show up to the job fairs.[/QUOTE]

You have to be a hawsepiper in order to get your questions answered here…

[QUOTE=SouthernBornOhioBurned;90049]You have to be a hawsepiper in order to get your questions answered here…[/QUOTE]

NO…you have to be respectful

JUNIOR!