Quitting MSC for the Union

The ones I have seen cross over were good workers, but tended to play make-believe Navy and were super rigid and regimented, even wearing full khakis to a box boat which just opened them up to ridicule. MSC might pay the bills but their senior officers, if they’re the ones forcing them to behave this way, come across as the former reg-head flunkies from the academies.

1 Like

I’m kind of late to the party but nobody mentioned quality of life. If you don’t have a huge overhead and are fed up with your current situation maybe it’s time to move on. Moving over to MMP or AMO you would most likely be starting over. I’m not sure how MSC can retain crew with some of the crap they pull but they always get by. Just remember the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

Do you think the pension is worth sticking around for?

The fact that Mariners are so desperate that they will put up with the MSC hiring process is quite an indictment of US flag shipping. Not to mention, the well discussed shortcoming of actually working for MSC.

Perhaps the best thing about working for MSC (other than having a sea time accumulating job) is the real, government guaranteed, defined benefits pension plan.

It’s no news that US shipping is in steep decline; so are the unions. How can the pension plans survive this? I doubt that they can.

2 Likes

Make sure all your MSC classes are up to date. That will make finding a job with MMP easier.

I’ve seen MSC mates with tons of “Seatime” but no actual seatime if you know what I mean. They are hanging out at the dock or taking a launch boat to shore every day or they are on watch with a ton of people in the bridge. To me you don’t need 6 third mates on a vessel. How much on watch seatime can you get with that many third mates? I believe it should be counted as a reduced amount. If you are big ship MSC aka on an oiler or something like such and try to come to the tugboat/ ATB world… You will be starting over period end.

1 Like

Viva Diego Garcia!

1 Like

You ever work for MSC?

2 Likes

The non PGA designed 9 hole golf course on Diego Garcia is a stress relief. Never had to hit a ball off of astro turf copy or hard coral. Any port in a storm and served cold beer.

he has no deep sea experience as he said in another thread and what hes saying isnt true for the most part so nope

1 Like

“Nobody could ever possibly understand or do my job”- Every Mariner ever

9 Likes

Yes Sir, I am a member of the MMP FEMG. But I haven’t hit the two years yet. I honestly am considering going in as an applicant. Can I transfer any time over to an applicant card? Thank you!

My background is with the MEBA I would have to defer to those that actually know answer. I believe however it is all or nothing. You have the time or not. Anything less means you may have to start from scratch. You need to decide if staying long enough to get that leg up is worth it. Also by staying that long would you have to pay the initiation fee. In the old days you didn’t have to, but I don’t know the what the rules are today.

If you quit MSC now you may have to start off as an Applicant and pay the full initiation fee as part of the membership process. Classes or training provided by MSC may (I don’t know for sure) help getting jobs on government contract vessels. Certainly your security clearance will help. Staying long enough to make the transfer to ‘C’ Book and no or partial payment of initiation fees might be worth it. Definitely agree with @shipengr to check with your govt service rep and the MM&P to know exactly what the requirements are, potential benefits as well as possible pitfalls.

I always try to take the long view but if the job is that bad the decision should be what is best for you.

If I recall correctly a person sailing with MSC, NOAA, ACOE , etc., could APPLY for a group 2 membership with MEBA after a year of sea time, I think that may have been updated but I’m not sure. If one has been paying applicant dues to MEBA while employed by MSC or other government contractors ones chances used to be better at getting accepted as opposed to those who accepted the union representation afforded MSC, NOAA etc but never supported them by paying minimum dues. It’s logical. One cannot walk into a union hall and say, “Hey, I worked for MSC for a couple of years. I would like my Group 2 membership.” They’ll look up your book status, IF you have one. If you don’t? Start from scratch. Entitled freeloaders are not welcome.

@shipengr on post #20 gave a link to what is required to transfer over from with the MEBA. No need for me to repeat everything but it is 2 years, not 1. The $4000 initiation fee is waived if all conditions are met, i.e., 720 days and dues (service charges) have been maintained. This is only applicable to those that joined the government services division. If they didn’t join, they start through the normal membership application process.

I don’t know when they started calling dues “service charges”.

1 Like

Get in good with a union before you quit. take a look at their jobs and if you like whats available. take that leap.

3 Likes