Question

Will the USCG give ANY credit for prior sea service if the rate was in the Supply department? Some guys told me no and some guys told me they would give me credit for 90 days… I ask because I"ve gotten certificates for AB, Lifeboatman and RFPNW (lookout only) and I want to send it all off and see what happens. Would I be wasting my time?

are you talking about service documented on your DD-214? With Ship name and terms of service? If so it should work for a partial. It depends on West Va. and how whey calculate.

[QUOTE=BroSum;114379]Will the USCG give ANY credit for prior sea service if the rate was in the Supply department? Some guys told me no and some guys told me they would give me credit for 90 days… I ask because I"ve gotten certificates for AB, Lifeboatman and RFPNW (lookout only) and I want to send it all off and see what happens. Would I be wasting my time?[/QUOTE]

That’s a $100 question. Yes it sucks that you will never have a definitive answer BEFORE you apply, but because it is a crap shoot even with normal applications sometimes, I would suggest that the only way to find out is to apply. Even if you call and ask them ahead of time you can get lost in the variety of answers ie. They don’t even know.

So, fill out an application and send it in. You don’t have to pay for the issuance or test up front, just pay the $100 evaluation. If it comes back with a no, then request a reconsideration. That should at least get you a written explanation of why they are denying it, and then you can file an appeal if you think that result is in error.

Sad to say, but all the knowledge in the world won’t answer your question until you pay $100 American.

Good luck, and please post your progress. Other people might be in the same predicament.

google and read the “Maritime Safety Manual”. I forget which chapter it is in but it is all laid out in there. There is even a chart with all the ratings and the amount of seatime creditable for each one.

Yes all the stuff is in there; reference it accordingly when you run into a stupid evaluator.

Thanks guys for you responses, and I’ve read Vol 3 Ch 2 of the MSM and it really doesn’t lay it out clearly I looked at the chart and my rate falls under Purser… so idk… I’ll just g ahead and send it off once I complete this hitch I’m doing now and we will see… Thanks again .

[QUOTE=BroSum;114379]Will the USCG give ANY credit for prior sea service if the rate was in the Supply department? Some guys told me no and some guys told me they would give me credit for 90 days… I ask because I"ve gotten certificates for AB, Lifeboatman and RFPNW (lookout only) and I want to send it all off and see what happens. Would I be wasting my time?[/QUOTE]

The time cannot be credited towards a deck or engine license. It can be accepted towards a deck rating endorsement (AB) if it was “on deck.” You would need to show you performed at least some duties in the deck department equivalent to those of an ordinary seamen. The same for engine endorsements, it would need to be in the emngine room and equivalent to wiper. All of the time should be creidtable for lifeboatman.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Azimuth;114385]google and read the “Maritime Safety Manual”. I forget which chapter it is in but it is all laid out in there. There is even a chart with all the ratings and the amount of seatime creditable for each one.[/QUOTE]

The table in the MSM you are referring to is only for evaluating militray time for licenses, not for rating endorsements. For rating endorsements, it’s much more vague and the evaluation will be more subjective.