Question on towing endorsement?

The TOAR was completed in one day.

I’m hearing its routine to hire a crew-member who is a DE, so the company can get whatever they want from them to get their own people through the process by whatever means necessary to keep company vessels staffed and earning. I think I read something about the fox watching the hen house. Thats a scary thought. Lets see if I’m a DE working for a boss that wants another signed off, what if I don’t think he or she is ready? The company says “sign them off or find another job”! Thats tough to expect the TOAR process to be NOT taken advantage of by some companies. Maybe they should ONLY be using non-affiliated DE’s to sign off on assessments instead of paid employees.

Thats probably not going to be a popular opinion, but maybe the most honest alternative so far.

[QUOTE=Captnstabn;44064]The TOAR was completed in one day.[/QUOTE]

I’ve seen a couple of TOARs completed in 1 day. They did a good job. Covered ALL items. Of course ALL things had to be working in your favor, windy, lack of good visibility. The barge at your disposal all day, and the vessel had NO other job to do that day. So focusing on those TOAR items can be done by a pro and having a student thats got experience behind the wheel of a tug.

But if a company DE is doing the assessment…Thats another thing entirely, That loop-hole can’t be allowed to continue.

I have a 100 ton masters license and I got the assist towing endorsement, whats that mean? what can I tow or push with this endorsement?

[QUOTE=“bigsailor;114703”]I have a 100 ton masters license and I got the assist towing endorsement, whats that mean? what can I tow or push with this endorsement?[/QUOTE]

No you can’t. You must hold a mate or master of towing.
The assistance towing endorsement is only to assist a vessel that has a problem. It’s not for standart operations.

Not every companie has a DE. And not every captain wants to be a DE.

At the end of the day you can have a TOAR signed with no experience, if they go that road you are describing. But, do you really think that any responsible Tug outfit will let that same person be the captain of that vessel and maunever for them?

Its their equipment, crew, vessel and credibility at risk. And even the worst Tug out there cost a couple of bucks. Not to mention all the P&I questions and other details if something happens and you try to file a claim.

All that means is you can operate a sea tow/towboat US type boat. Not a real tugboat.

It should take at least three months to complete a toar. The problem is that most tug and barge units are now converted to pin, or bludworth types. So how are some off these guys getting there toars signed off? I dont know of any Captain that is going to take his 400-600 ft. barge and tow it astern for some one wanting to get there toar signed off . So with that said If you want a TOAR completed you should actually work on a wire boat , and even work aboard a harbor tug most aint got what it takes to do close quarters work. Call me new old school i guess but i got mine the hard way , just cause you come out off the academy with a 1600 ocean endorsed lic. should not make them any different than a hawsepiper!!!