Tow endorsement

I was multi tasking when tow endorsement was enforced. Missed the grandfather entrance program. Been sailing since I was a kid…30’ golden hind pacific coast to tahiti…fished alaska for a couple decades…coast guard licensed in early 90’s. Went from ab with Hawaiin Tug & Barge in mid 90’s to towing doubles for Dahl Tug & Barge as captain. I have run from Florida to the Bering Sea via the South Pacific Is. Lost my youngest son in 2008, USAF and bought a Kenworth. Wasn’t paying attention when this tow endorsement came in…how bad am I screwed?

Are you saying you got caught towing without an endorsement? Or asking how hard it is going to be to get an endorsement?

Hey Smee…thanks for the comeback. After reviewing my post I realize … not so clear. Spent a few yrs in my dump truck and avoided going to sea. Back on the water now…have done a little towing in 2010 and 2011…found out about the “tow endorsement” just and went back to boat driving …no towing. Spent 100 days this past summer in the Bering Sea running freight and fish on a 100’ landing craft. haven’t caused any trouble, but I would like to get back to towing. So my question is…what is the best route. I have Master 200 ton 500 ton ITC etc, etc but no tow endorsement. I know I need some school and upgrades, CG evaluates my seatime turned in good for 1600 but I am not sure what step to take first.

The easiest thing to do is to get a 1600 ton, then all you need is 30 days on a towing vessel and a signed TOAR (Towing Officer Assessment Record) The trick is to find a Captain who is a ‘Designated Examiner’ who can sign you off.

[QUOTE=cappy208;126285]The easiest thing to do is to get a 1600 ton, then all you need is 30 days on a towing vessel and a signed TOAR (Towing Officer Assessment Record) The trick is to find a Captain who is a ‘Designated Examiner’ who can sign you off.[/QUOTE]

This is the best way to go for you.

[QUOTE=cappy208;126285]The easiest thing to do is to get a 1600 ton, then all you need is 30 days on a towing vessel and a signed TOAR (Towing Officer Assessment Record) The trick is to find a Captain who is a ‘Designated Examiner’ who can sign you off.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Cappy…I have heard a lot of scuttlebut…and when I hear two responces that say the same thing, great…I’ll look right into that.Toars and designated examiner. Smooth sailing

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;126290]This is the best way to go for you.[/QUOTE]

thanks for comeback on my tow endorsement questions…more ideas make better direction. Did I just hear you completed an upgrade?
If so congrats. Towing doubles into Pearl Harbour with out an assist on the Neptune an old single screw Fairbanks, and now I have to go back to school for my 1600. i already forgot most of the book lernin, dang it.

[QUOTE=wavesailor;126094]I was multi tasking when tow endorsement was enforced. Missed the grandfather entrance program. Been sailing since I was a kid…30’ golden hind pacific coast to tahiti…fished alaska for a couple decades…coast guard licensed in early 90’s. Went from ab with Hawaiin Tug & Barge in mid 90’s to towing doubles for Dahl Tug & Barge as captain. I have run from Florida to the Bering Sea via the South Pacific Is. Lost my youngest son in 2008, USAF and bought a Kenworth. Wasn’t paying attention when this tow endorsement came in…how bad am I screwed?[/QUOTE]

The Coast Guard has pending rules that, if adopted, would re-open the grandfathering to the master of towing endorsement (license). The Coast Guard proposed:

(e) Mariners who met the training and service requirements for towing vessels before May 21, 2001 and have maintained a valid Coast Guard-issued credential may obtain a towing endorsement if they meet the following:
(1) Demonstrate at least 90 days of towing service before May 21, 2001;
(2) Provide evidence of successfully completing the apprentice mate exam, its predecessor exam, or a superior exam; and
(3) Meet the renewal requirements in § 10.227 (e)(6).

However, this is basically the same as the advice you have already been given about the Designated Examiner and TOAR as the “renewal requirements in § 10.227 (e)(6)” are to compete a demonsration of manuevering and handling a towing vessel before a Designated Examiner – that probably means doing Part D (Manuevering and Handling) of the TOAR.

The above is only a [U]proposed [/U] regulation.

This is the one I’d be wanting to get. I know they wont get in any big hurry but do you have a idea on the timeline on this proposal?

The Coast Guard is establishing a towing vessel [U][B](utility)[/B][/U] 

progression, including apprentice mate (steersmen) and a Master of
Towing Vessels (Utility) endorsement to cover Towing Vessels performing
[B][U]marine repair[/U][/B], [B][U]construction[/U][/B], and other [B][U]utility type services[/U][/B] where a
full, unlimited Master of Towing Vessels endorsement is inappropriate,
and where some persons with Assistance Towing endorsements are
currently working beyond the authority of their credentials.
The Master of Towing Vessels (Utility) will authorize service to
tow: (1) Barges not used for moving bulk cargo (commodities) for trade;
(2) Barges associated with Marine Construction; (3) Dredges; and (4)
Pile Drivers.

Any idea on the time frame of adopting these rules. I’m interested in the masters of towing vessels (utility).