Question For Becoming A Mate

Wow! I apologize.

[QUOTE=Sharkbait;78261]I’m an new guy here and I’m fairly adept at Googling. I encourage Googling. I even change google to a verb with ease. Each of you should maybe look back a little to when you first became interested in your career and started asking questions. It might give you pause to be a little more tolerant of us new guys. I’m new to this idea of working at sea and I’d hate to feel reluctant to ask you guys questions because I might get flamed. Ask me a question about working in the medical field and I’ll give you the best answer as I know and send you to specific websites for up to date information. I won’t call you a dipstick, knucklehead or any other name because you didn’t look for the info first. There’s a lot of wacky crap on the internet and it’s natural for a person to want to go to the experts rather than “Ask.com” or any other of the sites that have bad info. I agree this thread should be a sticky but don’t dog-pile folks for asking a simple question. Just cut and paste the url and they’ll get the hint. I believe in mentoring not castrating. Incidentally, this post was motivated by an earlier thread today where the OP got the treatment from the experts… OK, flame away.[/QUOTE]

Listen Mr. Smart Guy…it’s not about using Google or Ask. It’s about searching in this forum and reading through over 6 years of threads and posts here. What turns my screw is when somebody with no time spent here just jumps in wanting us to teach him everything he needs to know to get started in this industry. DO THE EFFING RESEARCH FIRST THEN ASK THE QUESTIONS!
[B]
It is this simple.

Step 1: see the red arrows and the red oval?
Step 2: enter search term into box
Step 3: hit enter
Step 4: read responses[/B]

[B]
There, that wasn’t so hard now was it?[/B]

What kind of boats are you talking about? How much time do you have at work? You are asking a difficult question to answer. Give some more info about what you are looking for.

Reading your replies made me realize an analogy. If I wanted to start out in the medical field and wanted to be a nurse You would give me different advice if it was for a Candy striper, a CNA, a LPN or RN. Of course to an outsider those acronyms mean little. But in your field… get the picture?

Being a ‘Mate’ on a charter fishing boat means you have experience in baiting hooks, get along well with drunk fishermen, can spin yarns about the big one that you caught last trip, and other such necessary things.

Being a “Mate” on the ‘Sea Shepherd’ would mean another.

Being a Mate on a tanker means something else entirely.

Ok.Let’s wait a little while and see if the aspiring young lad got the point.

[QUOTE=c.captain;78275]Listen Mr. Smart Guy…it’s not about using Google or Ask. It’s about searching in this forum and reading through over 6 years of threads and posts here. What turns my screw is when somebody with no time spent here just jumps in wanting us to teach him everything he needs to know to get started in this industry. DO THE EFFING RESEARCH FIRST THEN ASK THE QUESTIONS!
[B]
It is this simple.

Step 1: see the red arrows and the red oval?
Step 2: enter search term into box
Step 3: hit enter
Step 4: read responses[/B]

There, that wasn’t so hard now was it?
[/QUOTE] Actually no it wasn’t hard at all. Not everyone is computer savvy and could use a nudge in the general azimuth. I think this site is great and I’ve searched it frequently the last few days looking for info I need. folks have been helpful and I really appreciate it. It just seems some here thrive on flaming others. And I knew I’d catch it making that comment but felt it was a valid comment regardless.

[QUOTE=Sharkbait;78297]Actually no it wasn’t hard at all. Not everyone is computer savvy and could use a nudge in the general azimuth. I think this site is great and I’ve searched it frequently the last few days looking for info I need. folks have been helpful and I really appreciate it. It just seems some here thrive on flaming others. And I knew I’d catch it making that comment but felt it was a valid comment regardless.[/QUOTE]

If you are sincere in wanting intelligent answers, then intelligently answer some of the questions. We can’t read your mind. This search function you want to use is a little more complicated. There are actual humans on the receiving end. If you want real answers… ask real questions.

[QUOTE=cappy208;78298]If you are sincere in wanting intelligent answers, then intelligently answer some of the questions. We can’t read your mind. This search function you want to use is a little more complicated. There are actual humans on the receiving end. If you want real answers… ask real questions.[/QUOTE]

Cappy, I wasn’t the OP. And I agree 100% that he should have searched first before starting the thread. My post was strictly concerned with those that are quick to bite. I ALWAYS do my research first and then try to flesh out what I find with personal observations of experienced people.

[QUOTE=cappy208;78282]
Being a ‘Mate’ on a charter fishing boat means you have experience in baiting hooks.[/QUOTE]
If you get really good at it we will bestow you the title, Master Baiter

Your question doesn’t deserve to be flamed, It just needs the respect it asks for.

The answer you seeks is this:

To become a Mate you must first find another suitable partner. Often the issue of sex is so overwhelming that you must wade through the differences between how the relationship is altered by the sexual relationship, versus how you and your Mate actually support and form a symbiotic relationship.

What kind of Mate were you talking about?

Cappy208 you are a hoot,good entertainment during my 1800 to 0600 bridge watch…

[QUOTE=ron2blade;78205]u didn’t have too respond[/QUOTE]

Sorry for pointing you to the answer to your fucking question with a little friendly advise added on.

asshole…

Why the f@$k are you on this site while standing a bridge watch??

i like turtles…

Unicorns & glitter??

[QUOTE=cappy208;78304]Your question doesn’t deserve to be flamed, It just needs the respect it asks for.

The answer you seeks is this:

To become a Mate you must first find another suitable partner. Often the issue of sex is so overwhelming that you must wade through the differences between how the relationship is altered by the sexual relationship, versus how you and your Mate actually support and form a symbiotic relationship.

What kind of Mate were you talking about?[/QUOTE]

If you commit to this you are going to need to buy yourself a brand new house though. One that has closet’s so big that you may never have to come out.

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;78381]Why the f@$k are you on this site while standing a bridge watch??[/QUOTE]

Maybe he’s tied up to a dock some where holding down a radio watch? Lord knows that’s what I’m doing 95% of the time on this job, that or tied up to a platform doing the same thing. If I’m far enough out that I cant get a phone signal then I read a book or watch a movie on my computer while on standby.

I’m still in the wheelhouse keeping an ear out for the radio and an eye on the weather what the hell does it matter what I’m doing to keep my self occupied while standing by?

People need to chill with the self righteousness that’s become so prevalent around here lately.

Disregard…

Oh, I see said the blind man. I learn something new everytime I visit this site. I was not aware that the bridge members were allowed to engage in activities that didn’t involve the task at hand…such as standing a proper bridge watch. I guess then…when the fit hits the shan…and things get jacked up…you can just say to the powers that be: “well, I was just on gcaptain and the radio was in earshot.” And you spend 95% of the time standing this proper bridge watch all the while pulling in over $600 a day as a DPO? Impressive! Now I understand why the competition is so stiff.

I think he is saying if he isnt underway,as in tied up or anchored, he reads or checks his gcaptain. I do the same thing, im sure most guys do. If you are moored you dont need to stand behind the wheel with one hand on the throttles for 6 hours. My radio is an arms reach from my chair.

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;78503]Oh, I see said the blind man. I learn something new everytime I visit this site. I was not aware that the bridge members were allowed to engage in activities that didn’t involve the task at hand…such as standing a proper bridge watch. I guess then…when the fit hits the shan…and things get jacked up…you can just say to the powers that be: “well, I was just on gcaptain and the radio was in earshot.” And you spend 95% of the time standing this proper bridge watch all the while pulling in over $600 a day as a DPO? Impressive! Now I understand why the competition is so stiff.[/QUOTE]

Awww is someone bitter? Please explain what you consider a proper bridge watch when your at the dock or on anchor? Please enlighten me with you’re years of experience working deck.

Because this is what I’m hearing how your would run things on you’re 12 hour watch. One hand on the throttle, the other on the wheel, and a magical third one on the mic ready to jump immediately into action the second the crane operator calls you over. Oh wait the engines aren’t even running, better crank them up just in case. Who cares that there is nothing on the radar, the weather report says that it’s going to be calm for the next week, and you’re tied to the dock. What, the engineer is complaining that you’re putting hours on his mains? Fuck `em, you’re the guy in charge, he should have gotten a captains license if he wanted to be the one in charge. You piss in bottles and shit in the garbage can because you never leave the wheel house. You’re Captain Bad Ass!

Just because you just got your Mates license, I’m making a guess at this looking back over some of your post, and looking for a job in the oil field don’t act like you know how to do my job better then me when you have no practical experience. Then again you might be one of those guys who look upon those of us in amazement who can manage to do a couple of things at once. At least I’m in the wheel house for most of my watch. I’m sorry I do get up to go get something to eat, go to the bathroom, or even take a run through the engine room. Don’t worry I have a remote mike in the galley or instruct the hand to keep a watch on things. If you ever make it to Fourchon take a look at all the other wheel houses and see how many of them are empty when at the dock. Better get on the phone to someone, those boats don’t have a proper bridge watch! It’s a quick way to move up out here, but it it worth getting known as a rat and having every one who knows you not respect you?

Please don’t insult DPO’s every where buy calling me one. I don’t even have my DP license although I do run the DP system on my boat along with my own navigation watch all by me self. You can do that when you have a real license issued by a government body, not just one issued by some out of touch organization out of England. Then again I don’t make $600 a day yet because I don’t have the little piece of paper and payed the money to take my advanced class yet. So what do I know.

Also I have music playing constantly when I’m on watch, even when I’m running! :GASP: Someone call the CG so they can shred my license. In the meantime everybody get the fuck out of the way when I’m headed into Fourchon.

Proudly written while on watch with fuck all to do while waiting for the word to kick off to the rig.