Question about the manila amendments (you still on here Mr. Cavo?)

Just finished reading all the NVICs regarding the implementation and grandfathering provisions of the the Manila Amendments. Something is not clear to me regarding the required training every 5 years for AFF/BT/Lifeboatman/etc. Do the current FULL versions (not refreshers or other watered down versions) of those classes meet the post 1/1/2017 requirements? Specifically,if I take a full 5 day AFF class in 2014, will any other firefighting training be required before 2019?

I can forsee a mad rush in 2016 of late comers who all need these classes and am trying to avoid that.

[QUOTE=Hawespiper;133260]Just finished reading all the NVICs regarding the implementation and grandfathering provisions of the the Manila Amendments. Something is not clear to me regarding the required training every 5 years for AFF/BT/Lifeboatman/etc. Do the current FULL versions (not refreshers or other watered down versions) of those classes meet the post 1/1/2017 requirements? Specifically,if I take a full 5 day AFF class in 2014, will any other firefighting training be required before 2019?

I can forsee a mad rush in 2016 of late comers who all need these classes and am trying to avoid that.[/QUOTE]

Your training is valid for 5 years. You will need to do the refresher course before your 5 year certificate expires.

As specified in 46 CFR 11.303(b), mariners holding STCW officer endorsements are
required to demonstrate continued proficiency for the revalidation of the Advanced
Firefighting endorsement. Mariners who have at least 1 year (360 days) of seagoing
service within the previous 5 years will be considered to have met a portion of this
requirement; the remainder must be demonstrated ashore in Coast Guard approved or
accepted [B]Advanced Firefighting Revalidation[/B] training that includes assessment in those
Advanced Firefighting competencies that cannot be demonstrated through sea service.
Mariners who do not have 1 year of service in the previous 5 years must either take the
original course, or an approved or accepted [B]Advanced Firefighting Refresher[/B] course that
assesses continued proficiency in all competencies related to Advanced Firefighting.

WAY too many options! I would hope currently valid classes will continue to be so?

I take it that if you renew prior to 2016 you don’t need to take the class if you’re engaged in ongoing training/drills. After 2016 you’ll need a class to renew. So theoretically it could be 2021 before one would need to take a class? Maybe I’ll renew that shit a year or two earlier to bypass it for another 5 years?

Until December 31, 2016, mariners may apply for an original endorsement or
renew an existing endorsement by providing evidence of successfully completing
approved training in Advanced Firefighting, or by holding a national officer
endorsement that required Advanced Firefighting training. [46 CFR
11.301(g)(3)].
b. After December 31, 2016, mariners must provide evidence of maintaining the
standards of competence in advanced firefighting as described in 46 CFR
11.303(b).

[QUOTE=Hawespiper;133260]Just finished reading all the NVICs regarding the implementation and grandfathering provisions of the the Manila Amendments. Something is not clear to me regarding the required training every 5 years for AFF/BT/Lifeboatman/etc. Do the current FULL versions (not refreshers or other watered down versions) of those classes meet the post 1/1/2017 requirements? Specifically,if I take a full 5 day AFF class in 2014, will any other firefighting training be required before 2019?

I can forsee a mad rush in 2016 of late comers who all need these classes and am trying to avoid that.[/QUOTE]

The requirement doesn’t start until the first time you renew or upgrade after 12/31/2016 The requirements start in 2017, NOT 2019)

If you have on year of service in the last five, you can either:

1. Take the full original courses again;
  2. Take a comprehensive REFRESHER course that gives some refresher training and assesses you in all of the competencies; or
  3. Take a shorter REVALIDATION course that covers only the assessments and exercises that can’t reasonably and/or safely be done on a vessel (generally, getting in the water and putting out real fires) and show your one year of sea service (in the last five years).

If you do NOT have the one year of sea service, you can do nos. 1 or 2, above.

The courses for those with one year of service in the last five will have “REVALIDATION” in the title, the courses for for those without the one year of service will; be REFRESHER courses.

As noted above, this starts with the first renewal or upgrade after 12/31/2016. Until then, you do not need to renew Advanced Firefighting or Proficiency in Survival Craft, and can renew BST with just one year of service and no additional courses.

Since 2009 it has been possible to renew at any time, you do not have to wait until one year before expiration as in the past.

Thx for the detailed response. I mentioned 2019 because if I take any of the FULL classes (not refreshers or revalidation versions of the classes) this year, then my 5 year window would go until 2019. My renewal is due in 2018.

Thanks again for the response.