Prior kidney stone disqualifying?

Hello all!

I have been doing a lot of research as I am seriously considering pursuing a career in this field as a deck officer. I am looking at the various academies and still deciding which is best for me.

I am wondering whether a history of kidney stones is disqualifying for the MMMC (needed to enter a maritime academy). Specifically, I had a single 6mm stone in my right kidney which I had surgically removed several years ago - with no recurring problems since. Both my brother and father had a similar issue around the same age as me and have never again had this problem.

The reason I ask is because I have searched Google and these forums and have not found information on this topic. There is a document online entitled “Medical Examinations of Seafarers 2005,” however it is written for Dutch officers and the standard is as follows:

1. Disorders of the higher or lower urinary passages, resulting in recurrent complaints or a reduced kidney function, are usually a reason for unfitness.

2. A kidney stone is a reason for unfitness.

Kinda vague. My kidney function is totally normal, and my health is otherwise perfect. However, I will likely do another CT scan to ensure my kidneys are still clear of any and all stones. The issue can be a life or death one on the seas and want to make sure I am in excellent health and prepared to do the job.

Has anyone had an experience with this or know of anyone else who has? Is a recurring history of stones disqualifying? Or does merely having one in your past automatically disqualify you from the Merchant Marine?

Thanks in advance for your help. I look forward to being a part of this community and learning/contributing as I progress!

A tip to you. When filling out medical forms, for any reason, unless they have you dead to rights and already know about the medical issues that you will be forced to divulge, your answer is this:

I am in perfect health, have had all my shots and screenings, no surgeries or procedures, and have never seen a doctor or been admitted to a hospital.

Repeat this to yourself whenever this issue comes up. It will serve you well.

[QUOTE=MrFrost;189478]Specifically, I had a single 6mm stone in my right kidney which I had surgically removed several years ago - with no recurring problems since. My kidney function is totally normal, and my health is otherwise perfect. [/QUOTE]

It was safely corrected and has not been an issue since.

Go ahead and call up an maritime academy doctor. They send in quite a few USCG medical forms every year, and they will have a better idea.

I am sorry to hear you have had kidney stones. I had stone out to sea and it was probably the worst experience of my life.
Anyways, it has not been a problem for me; I had a CT scan conducted to make sure no other stones or problems such as hydronephrosis. Came back clear and I have it on file.

Been there, done that. Didn’t get DQ’ed and didn’t even have to do a full urology visit.

The CG physical has a question about it, #11 on the long form, page #1. Get your doc to do follow up notes about it on page 2. Words like “minor” and “no other incidents” were on mine. Also look at the notes about it in NVIC 04-08. I can’t link now but it’s condition 113. They can make you go for imaging and a full urology consultation, or even require a stent if it’s wicked bad.