Preemployment physical

O.K. I will be getting my pre employment physical early next week to work OSV. They said they will do an MRI, which I have no problem with. But what are they looking for with an MRI, these things are pretty expensive for just a pre employment. I mean if they are checking to see if I have a brain the answer is obviously no. I mean I was stupid enough to become a sailor 20 odd years ago, so lack of intellegence is already proven.

An MRI is to cover there own butt. They do that to see if you have any preexisting injury’s. So that when you get hurt and try to come back on them. SORRY YOU HAD THAT ISSUE BEFORE YOU SIGNED YOUR LIFE AWAY.

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;73568]An MRI is to cover there own butt. They do that to see if you have any preexisting injury’s. So that when you get hurt and try to come back on them. SORRY YOU HAD THAT ISSUE BEFORE YOU SIGNED YOUR LIFE AWAY.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense, hate to admit I never thought of that reason, thanks for the reply.

[QUOTE=Scruffy;73574]That makes sense, hate to admit I never thought of that reason, thanks for the reply.[/QUOTE]

If they were checking for brains we would all be out of a job!!!

Will a mri show a past surgery?

[QUOTE=1974csick;74970]Will a mri show a past surgery?[/QUOTE]

That all depends on what kind of surgery and also where is is. If the surgery was to repair something that was broken or dislocated than the answer is yes. This is coming from someone that has had 5 mir’s in the past.

was surgery to shave a little bit of a herniated disk

[QUOTE=1974csick;75054]was surgery to shave a little bit of a herniated disk[/QUOTE]

Jeebus dude that’s exactly what they are looking for. Aside from the telltale MRI signs you also have a surgical scar as well correct? Did you reveal this?

[QUOTE=Tugs;75046]That all depends on what kind of surgery and also where is is. If the surgery was to repair something that was broken or dislocated than the answer is yes. This is coming from someone that has had 5 mir’s in the past.[/QUOTE]

That’s going to hurt you. Hopefully you disclosed it during your interview. There is a little thing called the Marine Index where some employers report any injuries and or payouts. Back in the 333 days you could negotiate with them to not report you. I can not prove that it is still in around but it was back than.

My back problems are the reason that I am retired now. I might be able to do the job but no one is going to take a chance on me hurting myself and suing them, even though I did not sue when I got hurt.

Good Luck Buddy

I haven’t interviewed yet,3 more weeks,I’m employed now,but was thinking about taking a dpo spot on a semi,I had the surgery 12 years ago and haven’t missed a beat,I have a release for duty from doctor but company still might think i’m a liability