Do companies do in-house medicals after hiring?

Okay so, weird/random/stupid question (typical JamesJim) but it’s been on my mind and I can’t exactly just go see for myself right now. So…

When you’re hired by a company (deep sea), and you show them your MMC (which you had to have a coast guard medical for) - do they then preform an in-house medical examination even though you have proven your medical status?

What have been your experiences with in-house medicals? Are the even a thing?

The GOM majors surely do. Best get to steppin’.

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;144925]The GOM majors surely do. Best get to steppin’.[/QUOTE]

Beware of MRIs also.

[QUOTE=JamesJim;144911]Okay so, weird/random/stupid question (typical JamesJim) but it’s been on my mind and I can’t exactly just go see for myself right now. So…

When you’re hired by a company (deep sea), and you show them your MMC (which you had to have a coast guard medical for) - do they then preform an in-house medical examination even though you have proven your medical status?

What have been your experiences with in-house medicals? Are the even a thing?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they are “a thing.”

USCG physicals are a joke. Any private employer be they Horizon or HOS can adopt a higher physical standard.

Almost all union shipping jobs (which obviously represent vast majority of shipping jobs) require pre-employment physicals, at least once every 2 years. And that long frequency interval is only if you go back to same company.

Maersk physicals are the most extensive from what I’ve experienced. People fail those things frequently. Be ready for X-rays, blood work, and EKG testing. Have yet to see any shipping company require MRIs.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;144928]Yes, they are “a thing.”

USCG physicals are a joke. Any private employer be they Horizon or HOS can adopt a higher physical standard.

Almost all union shipping jobs (which obviously represent vast majority of shipping jobs) require pre-employment physicals, at least once every 2 years. And that long frequency interval is only if you go back to same company.

Maersk physicals are the most extensive from what I’ve experienced. People fail those things frequently. Be ready for X-rays, blood work, and EKG testing. Have yet to see any shipping company require MRIs.[/QUOTE]

Outside of the Gulf most companies do not do an MRI. In fact, I’ve never had an MRI. The Gulf is the only place where I’ve even had an X-Ray. I always have my own blood work in my briefcase, but no company doctor has ever done any blood work on me.Rumor has it that half of the applicants fail the physicals at some Gulf companies. Most of the physicals that I’ve had are about the same as the USCG physical, although more companies are starting to do strength and agility tests. Its really rare to hear about anyone failing a physical in the PNW, except maybe at Kirby, which is a Gulf company. At times I’m shocked by the number of medications that some guys are on. There seem to be plenty of really big boys on every coast.