Possible to work "relief" schedule?

Do/would companies ever hire anyone to work a “relief” only type schedule? For example 14/28 and random times as needed. Seems like someone that wanted to work that type of schedule could be an asset, but with so many out of work, I guess that is probably not the case. Also, I’m talking wheelhouse 1600t oceans captain (or mate). Thoughts?

I’ve heard of this only in two instances in my 30 years out here.

In one, it was someone who knew the owner of the company, and he was selectively picked for relief, only to bust balls when the permanent employees balked about filling in, or working extra. Sorta like throwing it in your face for refusing to work. The other was a guy who was a past employee, who was in good graces with the office, but he only did maybe a week a year. Just casual labor.

Most places I know of would make you work as a Mate, then work UP to Captain. But if you left, you would have to go back as a Mate. In this industry your reputation is what gets you hired, not the license. And only expecting to be part time would sort of throw you out of the running for most jobs.

I actually found an ad for this on googles i think it was “simplyhired” … i was googling to find out work for deckhand and or os and found work for a reliever. 28 days out and i forgot that days in, but it was also “on call” this is not everytime… i will try to find the link again and post it…

[QUOTE=AtomicPhil;50975]I actually found an ad for this on googles i think it was “simplyhired” … i was googling to find out work for deckhand and or os and found work for a reliever. 28 days out and i forgot that days in, but it was also “on call” this is not everytime… i will try to find the link again and post it…[/QUOTE]
It’s different with a licensed position. DH or tankerman is way easier to ‘temp.’

Thanks for the response Cappy. It seems like a weird industry attitude. It seems like companies would want someone flexible like that.

Most of the jobs I’ve sailed had equal time rotation with regular crews but I’ve seen many temporary reliefs out of the SIU halls.