Positions in the Offshore Industry for an Electronics Engineer

Do you have any suggestions for my friend?

My friend has a B.S.in Electronics Engineering Technology and he has been both a troubleshooting and design engineer at a Fortune 500 company for 20 years. His specialty is avionics and radar. He is not paid nearly as well as he should be and he is tired of training engineers from India so that all the junior engineering jobs can be shipped overseas. He is qualified for his company’s early retirement plan. His kids are out of college and doing well in their own careers. He would enjoy working away from home. He is looking for an interesting and lucrative second career.

I have encouraged him to look into opportunities in the oil industry, but he has been confined to a narrow track by the bureaucracy at his company for so long that he has trouble believing that his skills are transferable outside of avionics.

Where might he fit in the offshore industry.

Bergen or Saab radar gauging systems first come to mind. They were always looking for people.

Years ago ran a Sperry autopilot tech. out to a ship, he traveled the world and seemed very happy with his job.I think your friend should contact any of the bridge electronics manufacturers about a service tech job.

Also Beier, EMI, Kongsberg.

I see a lot of rig electrician jobs on rigzone

I would advise him to send resume’s to all of the service company’s listed above. Also he might want to look at some of the drilling companies as well. They are usually crying for expericenced electronic technicans.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;70183]Do you have any suggestions for my friend?/QUOTE]

He probably already has his GROL with radar. Having the GMDSS maintainer license is a plus. Op/Maintainer is even better.

REPLY Yes, I think he does have GROL + Radar, Once upon a time he was an engineer at a radio station. He also put in some time long ago as marine electronics tech, and as an avionics tech.

I know a mate who has been a HAM radio operator since high school. He got GMDSS maintainer along with GMDSS operator. But he says that there is absolutely no demand for at sea GDMSS maintainers.

[QUOTE=injunear;70218][QUOTE=tugsailor;70183]Do you have any suggestions for my friend?/QUOTE]

He probably already has his GROL with radar. Having the GMDSS maintainer license is a plus. Op/Maintainer is even better.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=tugsailor;70220]REPLY Yes, I think he does have GROL + Radar, Once upon a time he was an engineer at a radio station. He also put in some time long ago as marine electronics tech, and as an avionics tech.

I know a mate who has been a HAM radio operator since high school. He got GMDSS maintainer along with GMDSS operator. But he says that there is absolutely no demand for at sea GDMSS maintainers.]

If he’s working shore based support, he’ll still need a Maintainers license to work on GMDSS equipment.