Port Fourchon Hurricane Damage

Damn, not good at all.

When I saw the forecast track for Fourchon a direct hit gave me a very bad feeling for our fellow mariners and family. The CNN interview with the sheriff in Grand Isle at the height of the storm was mind boggling. Shit was disintegrating in front of him. They are a tough crowd, and will come back sooner rather than later. Agree, Fourchon gets going sooner. Too much at stake on a national level=mo money.

3 Likes

I think they’re splitting hairs - Ida took longer to weaken than if it went over a mountain range, but it didn’t maintain strength that much longer than usual.

Why is it that the local distribution power grid in the US is still largely “in the air”??

Incl. transformers in many cases?

In most developed countries this part of the power network is by underground cables:
With transformers in hardened and weatherproof transformer kiosks:

I’m not the only one that wonder why things are just built back like before (??):

Smart Grid is nothing new, but it takes a lot of investment to develop:

Not only in the air but on wooden poles instead of concrete.
If they modernized the distribution system they would have to increase rates I imagine.

They pay a +3% stock dividend and the CEO compensation is around 14 million dollars a year .

1 Like

All of the new subdivisions I’ve noticed have underground utilities. My subdivision is 45 years old with buried utilities. My nephew has a company that has contracts with several electrical providers. He started out drilling passages under roadways. He now has specialized rock trenching equipment. With half of California moving to Austin Tx, he’s overwhelmed with work now.

1 Like

Its about half and half where I live, stuff built in the last 20-30 years is underground now.

In the case of LA I think it has more to do with the ground water level. Southern LA is at or below sea level. Its more cost effective to have everything above ground.

5 Likes

Good flag.

Just got back to fourchon. It’s not great. Channel is pretty good except for where the old tie up buoys used to be the dredge pipe has gone sideways in a couple of places that you have to dodge around. Not a big deal but still daylight movements only.

Cport 1 and 2 are FUCKED. 3 looks like it wasn’t even touched, likely having to do with the way the wind was blowing and age.

Dock guys moving around cleaning stuff up. Amazed at how many of the trailer homes used for offices and living quarters look undamaged.
Slip b only got a few feet of water so all the cranes and fork lifts are good. The chevron dock is already clean, the office is missing most of its roof, so I’m sure a House trailer and some generators everyone will be swinging cargo in the next day or two.

9 Likes

We are standing by in Gulfport with other boats waiting to head into Fourchon later in the week,

2 Likes

More pictures from Maasmond Newsclippings yesterday.
Port Fourchon:

No text or credit with pictures,

2 Likes

I’m surprised those flat bottom high sided floating drydocks did so well. If a direct hit from a hurricane didn’t cause the boats up in the air to flip over I don’t know what will. That will give me some reassurances the next time I have to sleep on a ship without water under the hull.

5 Likes

Anyone in Fourchon seen any activity around the Drydocks that broke loose from Bollinger? Curious if they have started salvage ops.

1 Like

I’m parked at C-Port 3 waiting on crew change and they look the same as they did in the last pics that were posted to Facebook.

1 Like