PNW Tug Wages

Small tug company: 575 capt, 475 mate, plus 25$ an hour for lashing.

But we earn the money,
-getting our asses kicked all over the state
-towing on a small wire (1 3/8")
-working the tides in Cook Inlet
-shallow water work out West

We earn every penny, but shrew is right it’s beautiful & if we are lucky we can squeeze in some sports fishing and Hunting on the way

[QUOTE=c.captain;111397]WOW!

Also shows the lunacy of the GoM when compared to the rest of the US when it comes to wages. A 20 year career tug master on the west coast dealing the west coast weather getting what an AB gets on an OSV! A highly skilled and ultimately very qualified and able mariner versus a seagoing slug*!
![/QUOTE]

I find it very ironic that 20 years ago, hell even 10 years ago, most people would not even cosider working in the GOM because the wages were lower then almost every where else. Now that the GOM companies are paying good money everyone is pissed. I remember that anybody with an unlimited license wanted to sail deep sea, not work on a drill ship or an IMR vessel, the limited tonnage guys always wanted to go on the trawlers in Alaska or the tugs on the east coast, nobody considered OSV’s in the GOM, those were for the low lifes. I have never even worked on an OSV and I still find this funny that everyone wants to come down here now . I have worked on my share of tugs on the great lakes, the east coast, and even a short stint on the left coast. There are rock stars on all 3 coast’s, along with slugs everywhere, and from what I have seen you don’t have to look to hard to find either.

Everyone here is making more money than they ever have in there entire life, enjoy it, be happy, stash your money away so when it all goes to shit, you can be sitting on a beach some where and laughing at the folks who work those 9-5 jobs for what most of us pay in taxes in a year. They are the ones who have something to complain about, not to many people here need to be complaing about money right now, no matter which coast you work on.

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;111448]you can be sitting on a beach some where and laughing at the folks who work those 9-5 jobs [/QUOTE]

Hell, I’m doing that now. I’ve been at my 5th wheel camper in Perdido with the jet skis and just hanging out for the better part of a month now…too bad I catch a flight tomorrow afternoon, back to work. Be back in 28 days, to do it all over again.

The life of a drillship Captain!