PNW Tug Wages

What are the current prevailing tugboat wages in the Pacific Northwest?

Especially, for master of towing?

500 & up seems to be the mark

mates (sause, foss, samson, AVEC) seem to be $430ish to 450ish/day.

master (samson, brusco, american marine, AVEC) ditto to what rshrew said (500 to 550)

Olympic tug - tanker/ab. 430
Mate/tank about 450
Master about 500

You get outside pay to, if you go past a certain spot, it varies by position as to how much

[QUOTE=chgonyer;111370]Olympic tug - tanker/ab. 430
Mate/tank about 450
Master about 500

You get outside pay to, if you go past a certain spot, it varies by position as to how much[/QUOTE]

WOW! Such little difference in pay between all those positions when a master still must carry a much higher burden of responsibility? Why take the job if that is all you get in the end?

Also shows the lunacy of the GoM when compared to the rest of the US when it comes to wages. A 20 year career tug master on the west coast dealing the west coast weather getting what an AB gets on an OSV! A highly skilled and ultimately very qualified and able mariner versus a seagoing slug*!

*although very tempted, I am not going to add photos of the gigantic florescent pink land gastropods recently discovered in Australia. Nor will I show any of those God forsaken creatures which infest the Pacific NW! Consider yourselves saved by my kind forbearance!

[QUOTE=c.captain;111397]WOW! Such little difference in pay between all those positions when a master still must carry a much higher burden of responsibility? Why take the job if that is all you get in the end?

Also shows the lunacy of the GoM when compared to the rest of the US when it comes to wages. A 20 year career tug master on the west coast dealing the west coast weather getting what an AB gets on an OSV! A highly skilled and ultimately very qualified and able mariner versus a slug![/QUOTE]

Years (okay, a couple of decades) ago, I “filled in” along with some others to replace some striking west coast engineers, mates and deckhands for Crowley. We were up on Seattle on a gorgeous day, so the picket boats were out to harass us in Anacortes. One of the things that they were screaming was that we were going to bring Gulf coast wages to the West coast. . . .oh, and they never came by on the crappy weather days. . . .

[QUOTE=c.captain;111397]WOW! Such little difference in pay between all those positions when a master still must carry a much higher burden of responsibility? Why take the job if that is all you get in the end?

Also shows the lunacy of the GoM when compared to the rest of the US when it comes to wages. A 20 year career tug master on the west coast dealing the west coast weather getting what an AB gets on an OSV! A highly skilled and ultimately very qualified and able mariner versus a seagoing slug*!

*although very tempted, I am not going to add photos of the gigantic florescent pink land gastropods recently discovered in Australia. Nor will I show any of those God forsaken creatures which infest the Pacific NW! Consider yourselves saved by my kind forbearance![/QUOTE]

Supply and demand. ECO is paying Captains on the Aiviq and Nanuq over $1,200/day because they cannot keep personnel. It would be very easy to get a job there with Alaska experience - if they stayed. The Nanuq is in the Gulf and the Aiviq is going to Brazil. I wonder how there Inupiat bridge officers will hold up in that heat.

I always thought west coast tugs made more then the east coast. Guess not

[QUOTE=anchorman;111402] the Aiviq is going to Brazil.[/QUOTE]

to do what exactly? It’s an arctic AHT not a true deepwater AHTS. I has no effing deck space!

stoopid Shell…they should charter it to the USCG since the POLAR class icebreakers are all antique pieces of shit and use it to break the channel for the resupply of McMurdo next year!

Oh wait, the NSF Antarctic program is another unbelievably massive sinkhole of wasted Federal Money. It returns nothing except income to Raytheon and all the other contractors down there!

[QUOTE=c.captain;111417]to do what exactly? It’s an arctic AHT not a true deepwater AHTS. I has no effing deck space!

stoopid Shell…they should charter it to the USCG since the POLAR class icebreakers are all antique pieces of shit and use it to break the channel for the resupply of McMurdo next year!

Oh wait, the NSF Antarctic program is another unbelievably massive sinkhole of wasted Federal Money. It returns nothing except income to Raytheon and all the other contractors down there![/QUOTE]

You don’t think that 500 ton winch is actually made for 100’ of water do you? That vessel was built to ultra-deepwater specifications, with an ice classed hull. It’s not just the deck space (which it has plenty), it’s the winch capacity, and it’s already set-up to accommodate an ROV as well.

[QUOTE=anchorman;111420]You don’t think that 500 ton winch is actually made for 100’ of water do you? That vessel was built to ultra-deepwater specifications, with an ice classed hull. It’s not the deck space, it’s the winch capacity, and it’s already set-up to accommodate an ROV as well.[/QUOTE]

But if it has no deck space, where do you put anything? It’s all about the real estate!

[QUOTE=c.captain;111422]But if it has no deck space, where do you put anything? It’s all about the real estate![/QUOTE]

It’s all about winch capacity, that is the needed real estate. Plus, it has more than enough deck area. I have no idea why you think it doesn’t have enough.

[QUOTE=anchorman;111423]It’s all about winch capacity, that is the needed real estate. Plus, it has more than enough deck area. I have no idea why you think it doesn’t have enough.[/QUOTE]

Because if you look at any comparable vessel out there and they all have much longer clear deck by a factor of 2x+. Besides, where is the chain handling space? Gotta be able to lay chain out on deck…don’t you? Can’t all go straight into the chain lockers?

Some of us actually like towing and Alaska is a beautiful place. master pay is for most company’s is more like 550-700 depending on seniority and like was stated pay bonuses for going past cape spencer. Another thing is many of the tugs on the west coast are under 300tons so you have a lot of operators with 200ton licenses without the ability to up upgrade.

[QUOTE=c.captain;111424]Because if you look at any comparable vessel out there and they all have much longer clear deck by a factor of 2x+. Besides, where is the chain handling space? Gotta be able to lay chain out on deck…don’t you? Can’t all go straight into the chain lockers?[/QUOTE]

No company puts chains on the decks anymore. That disappeared along with the pelican hook in the 80’s. Everything goes into chain lockers; the last vessel that had a heap of chain on their deck landed on the bottom of the gulf in the 90’s. http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=105001&p=irol-newsArticle_pf&ID=553771&highlight= The Aiviq has the same arrangement as the other AHTS vessels in the GOM and Brazil, and built that way for a reason. You can even argue that the Aiviq is better suited in some aspects, because of it’s width. You can easily have 4 suction piles on the stern of that vessel, side by side, and not have to store anything forward, making for less rigging pulling a 80 ton pile from forward to aft, and still have wire path. Remember, it does not matter how long a deck is, the center 3rd of the deck will be taken up by wire path from the winch to the stern. It’s all about the breadth of the vessel, and the Aiviq beats all in that respect.

[ATTACH]3508[/ATTACH]

Looks big to me

ok, I was just posing questions so good on the AIVIQ for having a life outside of Alaska. Pity now it will be in Brazil. Oh well…

[QUOTE=c.captain;111431]ok, I was just posing questions so good on the AIVIQ for having a life outside of Alaska. Pity now it will be in Brazil. Oh well…[/QUOTE]

That’s where the Stena Drill Max Ice is out of all places, at least I heard that.

[QUOTE=“anchorman;111433”]

That’s where the Stena Drill Max Ice is out of all places, at least I heard that.[/QUOTE]

I think she is off Guyana, not Brazil.

[QUOTE=BMCSRetired;111435]I think she is off Guyana, not Brazil.[/QUOTE]

Same amount of ice